Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-02-2010 , 01:30 AM

mousing options

hey all...very new here...coming to maya from a old version of viz..loving it so far but am not 100% comfortable with the 3 button mouse (for some reason)...should i just get used to it (pro and cons please) or is there a better option..ie track ball, combo mouse/ball..tablet etc? also working on a mac (trial version) and wondering if that makes a difference.
thanks
jc

# 2 01-02-2010 , 03:30 AM
Technical Director
I use a tablet for working in Maya. It certainly beats using a mouse, as it's much harder to get a repetitive stress injury from it.

I've mapped the tip to be left click, the lower button by your thumb to middle, and the upper to right click. But really, there is no set way of interacting with the software.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 01-02-2010 , 05:58 AM
Subscriber
Like said above, no set interaction for maya.
I personally use a five button track ball, with macro on the 1 button for (Equivalent to the back button on the mouse) for undo, the 5 buttons ( Which is equivalent to the forward button) mapped to my space bar.
I used to have the middle mouse button mapped to the alt key, and just use my scroll wheel to zoom in and out, but i don't anymore, i've since adapted to using a Nostromo Speed pad N50 Game controller mapped out with all the keys i use on a regular basis ( q,w,e,r,f,g,x,c,v, shift ctrl, ect ect ect and a few extra macros, like ctrl+shift things like that )
I rarely actually use my keyboard anymore, Number keys for display, function keys on occasion and my insert key since I've been too lazy to make the shelf button for it again.

Just another idea of user setup if it helps any.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 4 01-02-2010 , 05:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
I use a several button mouse, but I only use the three buttons for Maya. It does take some getting used to, but after a bit it becomes quite natural (for me at least). I use the keyboard for as many shortcuts as I can.
One hand on the keyboard, one on the mouse for most of the time.

# 5 02-02-2010 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber
stwert: i thought you said you use a seven button mouse and i was going to ask if i could have it :p
effortless buttons makes for faster productivity...

yeah, i have my keyboard and mouse setup for right handedness
thumb on alt/spacebar key, little finger on shift, and the others on q,w,e, r, g, z, x, c, v, b (one reason why i like the setup in maya over xsi, since xsi has the w,e,r functions at the bottom of the keyboard and the fingers squash up and i'm more likely to use the manipulation tools rather than the tools xsi has assigned to the keys up top)
easy access to ctrl+shift+d, ctrl+d, and alt, shift and ctrl

pros of the default setup? you have your right hand on the mouse and left hand on the keyboard, and it's on the keys that you're probably going to use the most.
might take you a while to get coordinated but it wouldn't be too too long before you get used to it.
everything you need is quick access other than delete and insert/home. enter button is right next to your mouse as well... even if you're using those stupid new mac keyboards

cons of the default setup? using a mouse and keyboard is probably a con :p

every software company feels the need to remap the functions of each key to a different thing. i sometimes use alt+mmb in photoshop by mistake, or soemtimes i hold down the right mouse button in other apps...
you get used to using a 3 button mouse... dont know how you live without at least 5 buttons... although i suppose that magic mouse probably works fine... middle mouse button on that doesn't always work though, dont know if it actually works in maya

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 03-02-2010 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
stwert: i thought you said you use a seven button mouse and i was going to ask if i could have it :p
effortless buttons makes for faster productivity...

They make a 7 button mouse o.O
I want wan for my birthday comming Up!
g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!