Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-06-2010 , 04:04 AM
Lifetime Member

Autocad DXF import troubles

I have asked this before I think. I cant or Maya wont import Autocad DXF's??? I thought this would do it and yes the plug in is turned on.

Will Maya (if anyone knows) import other meshes from software such as .tin, tn3, DWG etc???

cheers in advance

bullet

P.S as I have detail Land maps that I have actually picked up in the real world, I wanted to import these meshes to use as landscapes. I can also digitise real world geography and import if Maya does the above.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 15-06-2010 , 06:35 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Does the DXF show up in the import menu drop down box?............dave

# 3 15-06-2010 , 08:10 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi dave,
yeh it does. I just tried another one and it imported ok this time BUT I think the UCS might be stuffing it around. Firstly it is in REAL world co-ords so I assum I have to convert it to normal 'PAPER" co-ords. It also seems to have the X,Y,Z arse about??? here is the DXF I was on about, see what you come up with. Its a road I was using for a test. I have detail survey I can use as landscapes as I have the map so to speak, I walked it etc.

cheers bullet

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/M941-INT_HMIX.dxf

basically with my software I can do landscapes from real data OR get the contours from a geo map and digitise it, so to speak and create my own landscapes without having to create it in Maya, with poly's etc. Or at least the base models etc

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 15-06-2010 , 11:17 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Maya would not load it, are you shore your exporting from cad correctly?.............dave

# 5 15-06-2010 , 11:36 AM
Hi Bullet

Ive imported it, its large as Maya defeults to cm not meters, check the prefs.

The axes may be out at a lot of CAD packages use Z up not Y as Maya does (this can be changed in the prefs too)

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 15-06-2010 , 12:21 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks gster, I figured the axis may be arse about, cheers mate. Yeh I didnt bloody think of the units...dooohhhh

Yeh dave its a standard cad DXF, trust me mate I import export 4 squillion of them a week, back and forth between Autocad and Civilcad. Civilcad has trouble reading them as well.

Thanks gents I will change the prefs and give that a go. I have a few landscapes I would like to try, if they turn out ok I will post a few, anyone can use em. I have a lot of design DXF's so some of them may be useful. Digitising contour maps in Civilcad I could turn real world stuff into meshes.

I could try changing the UCS first too I suppose gster. Dont remember how in Autocad but I will figure it out.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 7 15-06-2010 , 12:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Interesting gster.

Maya doesnt mind the mesh but doesnt like interpolating the contours. hhhmmmmmmmm as civilcad interpolates even across triangles this might not work. bugger

bullet1968

# 8 15-06-2010 , 01:13 PM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968