Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-01-2003 , 03:05 AM

First time Maya User

This is my first time ever using Maya or any rendering program. I accidentally found out about maya and looked like the coolest thing.

Anyway, I donwloaded the Personal Learning Edition and started playing around. I downloaded the cloth tutorial here and didn't get far. There is a step after creating the square. Its where you hold the spacebar and select "Cloth" from the second menu from the bottom.

My problem here is that the "Cloth" menu is inactive and I'm unable to select it.

Why is this and how can I fix this problem.

Thanks, Matt

-----------------------------------------------------

P.S. - I think this site is awesome.

# 2 24-01-2003 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
Hi Matt, welcome to simplaymaya user added image I too an a newbie, I've been using Maya for a month or so now.

It may be a good idea to start with something a bit simpler if you have never used a 3d program such as maya before, learn the basics etc to give yourself a good foundation to work from.

I'm not 100% sure on this, maybe someone else can help clear this up, but are you sure the extra features like cloth & fur are included in the Personal Learning Edition?

# 3 24-01-2003 , 03:53 AM
Cloth and Fur are not available in PLE.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 24-01-2003 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
which is a shame really cos fur lets you create cool lil hedgehogs user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 5 25-01-2003 , 01:11 AM
Thanks guys. That sucks that I can't use that function.

I have been starting out slow. I have been following the tutorials that come with Maya.

Someday I will be real good.

- Matt