Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-10-2010 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber

Mata 2011: Extrude Along Curve randomness

Hi me again user added image

I am still plodding through 2011 seeing whats what and I think this horrible RMB mode selection or top menu 'select face' mess of an idea is causing me more strange happenings, but again its all random one min its fine next its not. Look at my extrude along a curve here.

I did various faucet's and other pipework fine, I go do some grill creation piping and I get it snapping back on itself, there are no snap locks going on its all as it was last time I fired it up and did an extrusion along curve, which was all fine with same settings..

Usually ive only seen this when you dont specify enough divisions and u ramp them up in the older clients and things sit pretty then but this time thats not doing the job.

Maya 2011 is certainly giving me a fight user added image

There will be a whole forum full of my Maya 2011 woes I can see it but hey it might help others when searching for same problems..

I tried it with the full set of faces as well, the image shows the last attempt just trying inner faces.

user added image

# 2 29-10-2010 , 06:17 PM
Please describe exactly what you did. I have played with extrude and cannot duplicate what you have above?

For instance I create a poly cyinder, then select all the faces around the side, then extrude those faces out, then create a cv curve from the side view, then select the top face and the cv curve and right mouse select extrude.

Then in the channel box I adjust the number of divisions until I get a clean extrude. This seems to always work for me.

Also, sometimes it's a good idea to rebuild the cv curve uniformly, adding cv's as needed to get a even distribution of cv's and then delete history before doing the extrude.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 29-10-2010 at 06:22 PM.
# 3 29-10-2010 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber
hiya,

Well ive been doing it as I have done in older Maya versions,

Make a cv curve and rebuild it line it up where i want and make sure the shape is accurate for me.

Make a cylinder with some height to it.

Select curve first

Shift select cylinder

Then put the cylinder into face mode, here in Maya 2011 this makes the curve turn "green" grrrr, anyhow u get around that with shift selecting the first face and then the rest of them you need which turns the curve back to its former white selection.

Open extrude box, reset tool, select amount of divisions and hit apply.

Ive removed the faces and left over rubish on that one I had that issue with and tidied it up, its fine now but the whole process should of been done again in a much more faster manner user added image

So thats how I have always done this execution but some reason there seems to be some oddness with the cylinder I am guessing with its size or how many faces maybe etc etc, this though is only a problem for me in Maya 2011..

Again take it as a pinch of salt, im getting older and I do have alot on at home right now so could be user error user added image

Cheers,

James.

p.s the RMB options for selection seem to be very odd in 2011 in my other thread this was mentioned by another how its a bit weird with its back and forth to object mode regarding F8!!..

Prob just need to get my head around some changes here I dunno?

# 4 29-10-2010 , 07:32 PM
The thin red line
The only thing I do differant to ctbram is I snap the first CV point to the central vert then go into side or front to do the rest, save some time linning them up............dave

# 5 29-10-2010 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
I have the snapping addiction also user added image

Its just this wasnt that critical its not even in close view so eyeball was enough..

Im guessing your both using Maya 2011?

I will do some more extrude poly faces along a curve bit later here and see how they go, but just niggles me when its working one min then same procedure dont work the next time using same items..

blegh! user added image

At least last problem was the B key being hit with soft selection, this time Im sure ive done nothing wrong with fumbling fingers user added image

# 6 29-10-2010 , 09:29 PM
The thin red line
Sorry I use 2009 as far as I know none of the modelling tools have changed that much, more has been done in dynamics..........dave

# 7 30-10-2010 , 12:54 PM
I am using 2011 but what Dave said is correct from a modeling point of view practically nothing has changed.

I personally do not care for the black on darker black on even darker black of maya 2011. It is making me go blind.

Most people do not have their monitors color calibrated correctly and have the gamma set way to high. I have my monitor calibrated and the 2011 UI is TOO DARK!

Go to the attributes panel and look at the upstream downstream node arrows! On my monitor they are practically invisible! I much prefer the old lighter interface.

But I also prefer to have the latest version just in case someday, probably when butterflies come out my butt, autodesk will bring the modeling tool set out of the 1960's.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 03-12-2010 , 03:48 AM
Sounds like you fixed it, but for future reference:
That happens when you extrude from the end of the curve instead of the start.

An easy solution is to select the curve, then shift-rightclick on Reverse Curve.

# 9 03-12-2010 , 05:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok I replicated it....Ghost you were correct...when I moved the cylinder the the end of the polyline and not the start it pinged back on itself...see if that is the cause moose....otherwise yeh just reverse the polyline.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes