Layered Textures and Mental Ray
1. I create a layered texure with 3 layers.
2. I use 3d paint tool to create 2 black-n-white textures.
3. I assign 1 of the b&w textures to the alpha of the top layer of the layered texture.
4. I assign the other b&w texture to the alpha of the middle layer of the layered texture.
5. I render out in Maya Software, I can see all 3 layers.
6. I render out in Mental Ray, I can only see the top 2 layers.
Other people I know have the same result. Works with Software but not with MR. I've played around with alot of settings and searched Maya Help but I haven't come up with a reason yet. Anybody know why it won't work in MR? I've attached luminence nodes to the b&w textures. I've even set them to "alpha is luminance", etc. The texture sample looks fine, just doesn't render out properly in MR.
Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!