Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-07-2014 , 06:28 PM
Trying

HDRI with Mirror Ball

Has anyone here used the mirror ball method for producing HDRI maps?

I want to start creating my own for CG integration with live footage, and after doing some research, while other methods (such as with a fish-eye lens to get a panoramic image) would produce better results, they are often more costly and time consuming. For budget and time purposes, and the fact that it'd be slightly easier to hide things/get away with imperfections in video, I think the mirror ball method would be a good place for me to at least start.

If anyone has experience with this, do you have any recommendations on a good, quality sphere to buy? Looking around, I have seen people recommend garden gazing balls.

This one seems to be mentioned sometimes, but the reviews are mixed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looking around, I found something like for this for example: https://www.mainstreetseedandsupply.c...m?1=1&CartID=1
Though there are no reviews/references to it relating to photography.

# 2 29-07-2014 , 07:09 AM
The Nurb Herd
What would be your method be for making an HDRI with a chrome ball? I've only done it with a fish-eye lens.

# 3 29-07-2014 , 10:58 AM
# 4 29-07-2014 , 07:45 PM
The Nurb Herd
Personally I'd go for the normal method (equipment permitting). If you are just shooting one chrome ball, you will have a reflection of yourself. Not a big deal true, but also that page even mentioned that you get low quality images. Also, it didn't mention anything about bracketing. :\
I've only shot one HDRI on set, but made loads of them. We generally only use a chrome ball for reflection reference.

# 5 29-07-2014 , 11:38 PM
Trying
Yeah, the chrome ball method would be just moreso for money and time purposes. At least for when I am doing it personally.

Of course for larger projects, if the time and equipment are available, I'd try for the best results, though for now I don't have experience with this so I figure it won't hurt to start with this method.

Would you happen to know maybe like what chrome ball you have available, brand, or whatever?

# 6 30-07-2014 , 08:32 PM
The Nurb Herd
sorry, I don't know. Why not start with a Christmas bauble, super cheap! user added image

# 7 30-07-2014 , 11:15 PM
Trying
Ha, I considered that. I researched like all the cheap/DIY ways to get a good mirror ball, but I figured, if I'm going the cheap route, might as well get the best of the cheap xD

I guess I will be going with the first one I linked, it's the only consistently used one I've seen online from people. Hopefully it's good.

Thanks for the replies!