Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-10-2014 , 05:52 PM

Shader problem on double-folding of paper

I am trying to simulate a paper folding (1st photo) using cluster deformer and I was able to make a kite base (2nd photo) with no problem. Everything works fine up to this point (I am using double side shaders). Here I only fold the paper by 179 degrees rotation in order to avoid the overlapping. Also edges are all hardened.

Then I was trying to fold the base in half vertically and I noticed that the front sided shader smeared into the back (3rd photo). I was experimenting with 1st fold rotation between 179 and 179.9 degrees and the results are the same.

If you have experienced this kind of problem, I would appreciate your comments. Thank

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 19-10-2014 , 09:49 AM
The thin red line
I think your problem is you need to delete history and freeze transformation before you add the clusters...................dave

# 3 20-10-2014 , 05:45 AM
I tried to delete history and freeze transformation. It doesn't help. I got the same result.

What I found from my investigation on this issue is that it works fine when I make a rotation of 89 degrees.

But when I increased the rotation angle by 1 degree, i.e, 90 degrees, then the problem occurs.

Attached Images

Last edited by muonium; 20-10-2014 at 05:52 AM.
# 4 20-10-2014 , 06:39 AM
The thin red line
How are you creating your texture................dave

# 5 22-10-2014 , 05:52 AM
I am creating texture using two files for the front and back sides.

The problem is finally solved by relying on skeleton method.

It seems that there is a bug on cluster deformer.

I made a change on the kite base so that there is enough gap between two layers (i.e., I made 178 degrees rotation).

This doesn't help. The cluster deformer gives the same result. It is very disappointing.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images