Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-01-2015 , 09:44 AM

Help with making a glass

user added image
How do i make glass transparent?
I followed a tutorial to make it since i'm really new to maya, this is my first project.
I followed all the instructions but my glass turns out like a mirror instead.
I don't know what setting is wrong. And i'm using maya 2013 since my laptop doesn't support newer version of it.

The result i made:
https://tinypic.com/r/1567rxj/8

The mia material x settings i have:
https://tinypic.com/r/wt9izm/8

The result wanted:
https://tinypic.com/r/2802kar/8

Anyway, i know the lighting and caustics is still a bit weird.
If you can help me with that too that would be very appreciated! user added imageuser added image

# 2 25-01-2015 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
what tutorial is it?
its maybe your reflection and refraction settings

# 3 26-01-2015 , 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, please link the tutorial. Those are odd settings.

- Genny
# 5 26-01-2015 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
that lesson doesn't go over the refractions settings, so I'm guessing the people that managed it already had theirs set higher in their render settings,

id recommend getting a demo digital tutors account to do some lessons like this to understand it
https://www.digitaltutors.com/lesson/...errors-in-Maya

or the simplymaya rendering glass tutorial

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 28-01-2015 , 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

- Genny
# 7 29-01-2015 , 10:20 AM

That tut has a lot of steps but very little in the way of explaining whats going on. Anyways, it could be an issue of the surface normals facing the wrong direction.

What do you mean by "surface normals facing the wrong direction" ?
I'm sorry i'm really new to maya.

# 8 29-01-2015 , 10:23 AM

that lesson doesn't go over the refractions settings, so I'm guessing the people that managed it already had theirs set higher in their render settings,

id recommend getting a demo digital tutors account to do some lessons like this to understand it

thanks. i'll try it

# 9 30-01-2015 , 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
The short sweet answer is that face normals determine which is the back and which is the front side of any given polygon. Normals can affect things like how reflections and refractions are calculated which I think is the problem in your case.

You can toggle their display through the Display>Polygons>Face Normals. Or a quick and dirty way of checking by a glance is to turn off "Two sided lighting" under your panel "Lighting" menu, there will be a color difference between the front and back sides. You can change the normal direction of the offending objects or components by selecting them and going to Normals>Reverse.

More on normals>>

- Genny
# 10 05-02-2015 , 12:26 PM

The short sweet answer is that face normals determine which is the back and which is the front side of any given polygon. Normals can affect things like how reflections and refractions are calculated which I think is the problem in your case.

You can toggle their display through the Display>Polygons>Face Normals. Or a quick and dirty way of checking by a glance is to turn off "Two sided lighting" under your panel "Lighting" menu, there will be a color difference between the front and back sides. You can change the normal direction of the offending objects or components by selecting them and going to Normals>Reverse.

More on normals>>

I've checked the face normals, how do i change the normal direction? in which menu is "Normals" in?

# 11 06-02-2015 , 10:17 AM
The thin red line
Does not look like Gen is about at the moment so I will answer your question, in the polygon menu go along to "normal" then down to "reverse", if that does not work unlock the normal first then "reverse"..............dave

# 12 07-02-2015 , 05:44 AM

Does not look like Gen is about at the moment so I will answer your question, in the polygon menu go along to "normal" then down to "reverse", if that does not work unlock the normal first then "reverse"..............dave

it turns out like this instead..

user added image

# 13 07-02-2015 , 05:48 AM

how do i set the refraction? under which menu is it in?

# 14 07-02-2015 , 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Upload the scene, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

- Genny
# 15 10-02-2015 , 09:12 AM

Upload the scene, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

user added image
it became like this instead.