Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 31-05-2003 , 02:56 PM

Do people tend to model "to scale"?

Hello,

I am getting ready to start a new project and I began reading about the gird in detail and that brought up a question. Do you tend to model your object "to scale". What I mean is, if you want a 6 foot tall character, do you set the preferences to use inches, then set your grid to display every 12 units, then make your model 6 grid lines tall?

I am starting a 6 foot tall character and I don't want to slow down maya by making the object larger than it should be, but then again I don't want to make the model the scale of an ant either. Should after I have modeled many different objects in differnt files, be able to bring them all together than have them be to scale to each other, or does this not matter? I know that the final render is really all that matters, but this just feels like if I head off in the wrong direction, I will pay for it later. Thanks.

# 2 31-05-2003 , 03:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
at work we do build things to scale.

We set our grid options as follows:

Length and Width: 32
Grid Lines every: 16
Subdivisions: 16

Also give our Grid Lines and Numbers a black color. We leave the actual unit size at its default centimeters as that does not really matter. We treat each unit as a foot in this manner, so buildings will have 6' + tall openings so characters will fit through.

I should mention that all studios will have their own way of doing things, but it's a good habit to get used to building things to some kind of scale.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 31-05-2003 , 03:57 PM
Thank you very much Mike for that insight. Very helpful.