Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-07-2003 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber

Planar Trim HELP PLEASE

okay i am trying to make a model of the united states. So far i have outlines the states using CV curve tool, and that is entirely complete. Now i am trying to use that curve and the Planar trim tool to make a flat polygon that i can then extrude to make a 3d model.

BUT

when i try to use the planar trim tool to make a polygon, it looks like it works, the command feedback line, says its done, and there is a planar trim object in the outliner, but nothing shows up on the stage, there is no object, and the curve is still just a curve, not a flat object.

Please help me, im trying to get this done for a project, and can find nothing in the help files that can assist me..

Thanks in Advance,
-Adam

# 2 28-07-2003 , 11:42 PM
Planar trims can be a bit of a pain. What you might want to try is using bevelPlus in the surfaces menu, instead. Just select straight in and out and the depth you want to extrude and it should get you in the ballpark. Just play around with the various settings in bevelPlus' option box.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 28-07-2003 at 11:49 PM.
# 3 29-07-2003 , 12:30 AM
The Maya Mountain
Or use the Create Polygon Tool.. When you draw the outline and hit enter, it creates a polygonal face in that shape. Then you can just extrude it.

# 4 29-10-2015 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanks

Although this post is many years old, I had to just say to @NitroLiq and @mtmckinley "Thank you!" I started off teaching myself Maya and 3Ds max years ago and now have made modeling a business thanks to tips, tricks, tidbits and tools from people like the above. Simply Maya in general has been invaluable to me as lover of design and a constant peak learner. Thank you again, these snippets of relief when you are stuck are just...invaluable.

Cheers!user added image

I'm just trying to learn how to embrace my passion..