Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-10-2003 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber

876Mb, but i only have 512.

I just opened an old street scene done by another member and thought i'd have ago at making it blow away in the wind like dust. Only the method i used wasn't very memory friendly as you can see. With all the simulation i was getting around 0.003 Frames Per Second. Don't think i'll be finishing this one.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-10-2003 , 09:26 PM
bah thats nothing the other day my page file size reached a peak of more than 2 gb... just before crashing (it ran out of hdd space or something as i still havnt got a replacement of my second hdd after its death ...) and i was just moving a ramp... i reopened it after and it was ok again, but...

(page file refers to all the memory XP is using, ram and reserved HDD space used as ram....)

# 3 13-10-2003 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
2gb what the hell were you doing to use 2 gb. As for mine i was planning on turning it into a 15s animation. Just running it in the view panel would take about 1.5 hours, rendering would take weeks.

# 4 13-10-2003 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
Hahaha... That tank scene of mine could easily break the 2 gig PF and ~950 mb physical. And I've had a few "Memory exception thrown" when it eats through memory too fast. I tell you, subd's are not memory friendly user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 5 14-10-2003 , 12:37 PM

2gb what the hell were you doing to use 2 gb. As for mine i was planning on turning it into a 15s animation. Just running it in the view panel would take about 1.5 hours, rendering would take weeks.

It wouldnt be that bad, it's slowed down because open GL cant handle that sort of stuff. When rendering the overhead is greatly reduced so it wouldnt be that bad. And if you bake the animation after your happy with the simulation then it will render a LOT quicker. It would also allow you to playback the scene. do some playblasts if you need to see it playing back in a GL preview user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 14-10-2003 , 02:03 PM
Subscriber

Re: 876Mb, but i only have 512.

Originally posted by ckyuk
I just opened an old street scene done by another member and thought i'd have ago at making it blow away in the wind like dust. Only the method i used wasn't very memory friendly as you can see. With all the simulation i was getting around 0.003 Frames Per Second. Don't think i'll be finishing this one.user added image

That's not the real memory that youre using... you have 512 but it's DDR so that is doubled and that's why you have that much. And that's virtual memory...

at least this is my theory user added image

-Emo

# 7 14-10-2003 , 02:15 PM
emo, ddr doubles the speed of the memory not the quantity... the extra memory over your ram is diskpace windows uses as ram... its a lot slower but it works...

# 8 14-10-2003 , 07:20 PM
Subscriber
Well then I was wrong.. user added image

anyway... he has 1248MB Commit Charge... same as me but I have 1249 :p

-Emo

# 9 15-10-2003 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
hehehe, my Commit Charge Limit is 2300MB.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP