Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-11-2003 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber

REGARDING TRIMS PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi,

I have gone through enough documentation and tutorials. But for some surfaces you have to settle down for trimmed surfaces and maybe because I'm new I have no other idea coming up in my brain. But once you create a trimmed surface there is absolutely no way to make it into a normal nurbs surface so that it can be stitched to another nurbs surface. Does that mean trimmed surfaces cannot be stitched at all???

I have tried rebuilding, export - import , delete histroy ... nothing seems to work. How do we create a trimmed surface and attach it to another trimmed surface.. Any help is greatly appreciated..

Many thanks in advance.

# 2 08-11-2003 , 04:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
Trimmed surfaces cannot be stitched.

# 3 08-11-2003 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
you can untrim surfaces. Its a nurbs option. do all your stiching first then trim/boolean your surfaces.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 4 09-11-2003 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
1. So booleans are better when it comes to trimming is it?
2. So if trimmed surfaces cannot be stitched then when it comes to animating and rendering we cannot used trimmed surfaces at all?

Many Thanks

# 5 09-11-2003 , 02:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
1) I don't use nurbs all that much, and when I do, I do not boolean, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that a nurbs boolean creates a trimmed object.
2) Trimmed surfaces can be animatd, but they cannot be deformed in most cases. For example, you can use them to make a car. A car animates rigidly, without deforming parts. I'd probably not use trimmed surfaces with a character, though.