Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-12-2003 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber

slow performance

hello, i just bought my new hardware, i have a pentium 4 2.8 ghz, 10 000 Mb RAM,500 MHz bus speed,wildcat vp 970....i spent a fortune to optimize my MAYA 4.5 interface speed.the speed of my rendering is not bad but my geometry is really slow for what i have, it's the same of my old PC (pentium 3, 1.8 ghz, 256 mb ram..). how can i be sure that i am receiving the maximum performance that my system can provide me with ?

thanks

# 2 05-12-2003 , 01:10 AM
Sounds like a graphics card issue. You have all the right drivers? is that 10 gigs ram correct?

# 3 05-12-2003 , 01:40 AM
Subscriber

white dots

well i have tried all drivers, and all options to optimize the performance. i am sure that i have 10 gig but how can i know if ther performance is maximized?

thanks

# 4 05-12-2003 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber
roy how about a little difinition how many poly faces say, could you have going on the screen befor it seems like it starts to slow from realtime ? I do belive that there is a fps on the heads up display. you could load a model with a lamber, no textures. tell use the poly count and that fps.. could cheak it aginst mine.. I have a 1.5 ghz, and a difrent grafix card but we could do the math.

BTW.. maybe that ram is your vertual !! I have not ever seen a motherboard with more than 4 gigs, unless it was a dual or quad cpu.

whats the name on the motherboard, and your ram, what is the speed on it ? like SDram 133 ? or DDR 266 ? just would help get a better idea of whats going on..

someone help me.. who makes the wildcat 970 ? it could be the Vcard becouse I have a low rate Navidia and it screems. don't start slowing down till about 40,000 faces. and that just a little slow down..

hope we can help.

# 5 17-12-2003 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber

Re: white dots

Originally posted by roy
well i have tried all drivers, and all options to optimize the performance. i am sure that i have 10 gig but how can i know if ther performance is maximized?

thanks

I dont know of any Maya application benchmarks (for rendering there is the Highend3D maya scene) however, I know that there is CineBench which is based on Cinema4D that should be able to give you a clue as to how things are going.

I'm also a little confused about your memory configuration. I dont think there are any single P4 motherboards that support 10Gb of RAM as this would not be supported by the processor. I suspect you have 1Gb which should be quite adequate for running Maya.

Check your video driver settings to ensure that you have OpenGL enabled and that hardware accelerations are turned up nice and high.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...

Last edited by rich; 17-12-2003 at 04:02 PM.
# 6 29-12-2003 , 04:37 AM
Sounds like a RAM issue. If you say it's the same as your old box (256MB) then that should be it. Maya requires a minimum of 512 just to work properly, however slow. I recommend at least 1GB of RAM.

I would look further into your setup to see what that 10,000 MB of RAM is. 10,000MB of RAM? I've never heard of that.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu