Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 17-01-2004 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber

parallel dongle via USB-ish connection?

I've got a Dongle-type-license for Maya so that I can use it both at work and at home.

I've also got one of those nifty Toshiba tablets which is groovy because I can use my pen in Photoshop, Alias Sketchbook, etc.

Unfortunately, the laptop does not have a built in parallel port. I've tried a couple of different USB-to-parallel cables and "docking station" devices but have not been able to get Maya to recognize the Dongle.

Does anyone know of a device that will work for me, or of a way to install the dongle on a machine that has a parallel port and "float" the license to my laptop so I can take advantage of the tabletish features and also have access to Maya when I travel?

user added image

# 2 19-01-2004 , 10:12 AM
Subscriber
You are suffering from "legacy" problems as most modern hardware doesnt come with parallel ports. Most printers, these days, are USB connected which effectively made the parallel port redundant.

You may want to contact Toshiba and explain the problem as they may well be able to provide a docking solution that includes a full parallel port.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 23-01-2004 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber

Solution!!!

I got my Maya Dongle to work on my tablet PC which has no built in Parallel Port!!! :bgreen:

Finally!!!!! user added image

Here's the (only) way to do it:

Maya uses a Dongle with a Sentinal Driver. To get the Dongle to work with a laptop that does not have a parallel port:

Get a PCMCIA-to-parallel adapter from www.quatech.com

NONE of the USB-to-parallel converters will work, as they don't support continuous bi-directional parallel communication. Don't waste your time.

Download Sentinal Driver 5.41.1 from Rainbow Technologies.

Install the PCMCIA card and drivers. Open up the Device Manager and get the Port I/O settings. I set mine up manually at 0400.

Uninstall the existing Sentinal Driver by going to C:\Program Files\Common Files\AliasWavefront Shared\Sentinel and running the SetupX86.exe program.

Click on "Function", then "Remove Driver".

Next, install the new Sentinal Driver -- you may need to reboot after this.

Open up the new driver configuration utility at: C:\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\Sentinel System Driver. It is called "SetupSysDriver".

Choose "Configure Driver", then "Add". Put in the Port Address you found in Device Manager, then click the "OK" and close the SetupSysDriver program.

lmtools should now see the Dongle in the Flex-ID 6 location.

Maya will run and all is well and right in the universe!

:bgreen: :bgreen: :bgreen:

Last edited by james_s; 23-01-2004 at 06:35 PM.
# 4 24-01-2004 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for posting the salve to your problem. It could come in handy to others some time soon. Like me.