Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-06-2016 , 05:10 PM

Maya rigging problem, probably due to skinning?

Hello, I've got a problem with a simple character rig in Maya, it's a problem I've had before but can never find a solution to. I'm not too skilled yet.

This is the rig:user added image

(Don't pay attention to how the hair consists of a whole bunch of tentacle-esque joint strings, the problem lies in the feet.)

The problem happens when I move any part of the rig up to the root (The pelvis), other than the feet themselves. The torso and head are fine.
user added image

The feet move along with it in a way they're not supposed to. It's really annoying and I've got no idea how to fix it, though I'm sure it's got something to do with the skinning of the feet. If anyone knows anything about this, help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

# 2 06-06-2016 , 02:49 AM
Technical Director
How is the geometry attached to the rig? Is it parented, or bound to the bones?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 12-06-2016 , 02:57 PM

How is the geometry attached to the rig? Is it parented, or bound to the bones?

Hey, sorry for the late response, I've been very busy. I wasn't sure what you meant with "bound to the bones", so I did a bit of research and thought about it, and came to the conclusion that they were both parented AND bound, and that turned out to be the problem. Thanks for your help!

# 4 12-06-2016 , 10:30 PM
Technical Director
That would do it! Glad you figured it out.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 04-01-2017 , 07:28 AM
Glad you figured this one out with some help! Yeah, you definitely never want to bind the mesh with joints PLUS have a parent to child relationship on top of that, thats when something evil called "double transforms" comes into play which you saw in your scene.

Its basically 99% of the time a hierarchy issue. Just in case you didn't understand fully as to the why what you did worked is all!

Feel free to check out my website! (:

https://dlopezdemedrano.com