Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 91 07-12-2011 , 11:39 PM
Lifetime Member
Great job mate...well done...good luck with the textures

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 92 08-12-2011 , 04:59 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks ctbram and bullet. I watched the uving section of the apache tutorial to get to grips with the uv tools.

But alas, I have hit my first technical glitch in Maya. When I'm in the "move UV shell tool" and want to do anything in the perspective view, I have to explicitly go out of the tool or else Maya may hang. My autosave is now every 5 minutes and activity monitor is on hand to kill Maya when it does decide to hang. (Tolerating the little feature that Maya terminates the current active tool when it does an autosave)

I'll try re-installing Maya.

# 93 08-12-2011 , 08:19 PM
Lifetime Member

UV Feedback

Dave, I'm in the same boat as you now.

Started with the UVs. Am I on the right track here? You can be brutally honest. I would hate to find out only later when applying textures that I had been making fundamental mistakes with the UVs. Rather a punch in the stomach now than a disaster later on.

Thanks. Pixal.

Attached Images
# 94 08-12-2011 , 08:57 PM
The thin red line
Looks like your doing a grand job there Pixal(sure youve not done this before LOL), your are getting a little distortion around the cowling but its only a little, the props look good in the main. The cone I would see if unfold will make it better(look up the unfold tool as there are a lot of setting that you can change to make it work)..........dave

# 95 08-12-2011 , 09:08 PM
Looking really good pixal. The cone is a tricky shape to UV. You are going to have distortion. As Dave suggests play with unfold and also the relax option to see if you can minimize it. Are you planning on going with the spiral pattern on the cone?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 96 09-12-2011 , 03:23 AM
Generally speaking when I UV I make sure the UV's are all the same size. It appears you have scaled certain sections or it might come that way just out of the unwrap. In C4D I have to equalize all of the sections on the map after unwrapping and I am unsure if this options exists in Maya. This is just me but it will just help in resolution continuity. Over on Gnomon they show using the "Transform Distort" in PS to work on corners and edges within your UV. Labyk also uses Roadkill and the thing is free so I recommend you check that out. He has used it quite extensively at work and gotten good results across the board. Kind of just chooses the mapping types automatically...

cheers

Collin Bishop

# 97 09-12-2011 , 08:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks everybody for the feedback.

@All The unfold tool did help. There is still distortion around the tip of the spinner that I just can't get rid off. It's almost a catch 22. When I correct the distortion on the tip, then the rest is distorted. When the rest are OK then the tip is distorted. I have kept both versions of the UVs in separate UV sets and when I get to texturing the spinner I'll be able to see which one is going to give me less problems. What I did notice about the unfold tool is that it had almost no effect if "Weight solver to" was set to a non-zero value (Even .0001 produced little effect).

@Dave, my only prior experience with UVs was the haunted house tutorial and that was all nice flat, unsmoothed geometry.

@bullet, you are wicked! Spiral pattern! Thanks to the Germans I actually have a choice among no pattern, split straight in two or spiral.

@Chavfister, I have just mapped the individual pieces of geometry and scaled each to fit within 0,0:1,1. I still have to scale them in relation to each other. I did have a look at RoadKill and Headus but unfortunately there isn't a Mac version of Roadkill. I'll stick to doing UVs manually until I can create good UVs. Then I'll automate.

Attached Images
# 98 09-12-2011 , 09:39 AM
I would not worry to much about the little distortion at the tip of the cone. It will be minimal and the rest of the cone is looking really good. As for pixal density, I usually even that out at the end. I don't necessarily give all parts equal texture space as some bits need more and others less.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 99 09-12-2011 , 01:31 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks ctbram. Logic tells me it is always a balancing act between distortion, texture seams and how much detail will eventually be needed.

# 100 09-12-2011 , 03:03 PM
The thin red line
I dont think theres any more to add that ctbram said but get some more doneuser added image..........dave

# 101 11-12-2011 , 06:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Thank you Autodesk for "transfer attributes"

# 102 14-12-2011 , 11:09 PM
The thin red line
Hows the UVing going Pixal...............dave

# 103 19-12-2011 , 09:17 AM
Lifetime Member
sorry for the late response dave. enjoying some sun at the coast so the uvs are on the back burner for a while.

# 104 07-01-2012 , 05:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Everybody

A happy and prosperous 2012 to all of you. I see that a lot of people have been and are still having some great fun with the robot challenge. I wish everybody taking part the best of luck. Looking forward to the 12th.

A small update. Completed the UV mapping. For most I used the standard Maya UV tools. It was a good learning experience. But I must confess I did become a bit impatient towards the end so I broke down and got Headus to speed things up a bit. It is a good tool but not perfect. I still had to adjust some of the UVs manually.

Time to hit the manuals to see what my options are for materials.

Attached Thumbnails
# 105 07-01-2012 , 06:07 PM
The thin red line
Looking good Pixal, I use roadkill to help unwrap UVs but still end up using maya tool to get them to look right, I think there a a few colour setups you can use for the 109 lets see what you those................dave