Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-11-2015 , 05:00 PM

Python to MEL

Hi all

So still having trouble with the whole more from Python to MEL. All I want to do is convert this basic script into MEL but the different syntax is doing my head in!

I have a load of nodes in the scene called removeKids_xxxxx and all I want to do is find them and delete all the children. Simple I thought. Works fine in Python, just cant figure it out in MEL.

Thanks in advance user added image

import maya.cmds as cmds

cmds.select("removeKids_*")

meshes = cmds.ls(sl=True, typ="transform")

for x in range (len(meshes)):
children = cmds.listRelatives(meshes[x])
for i in range (len(children)-1):
cmds.delete(children[i+1])

# 2 21-11-2015 , 03:59 AM
Technical Director
Try:

Code:
select "removeKids_*";

string $transforms[] = `ls -sl -transforms`;

for ($x = 0; $x < size($transforms); $x++)
{
    string $children[] = `listRelatives $transforms[$x]`;

for ($i = 0; $i < size($children) - 1; $i++)
    {
        delete $children[$i + 1];
    }
}
You can also simplify your python code to:
Code:
import maya.cmds as cmds

transforms = cmds.ls("removeKids_*", sl=True, type="transform")

for x in xrange(len(transforms)):
    children = cmds.listRelatives(transforms[x], type="transform")
    if children: cmds.delete(children)
Which removes the nested loop, as well as the extra selection call.

Notice that I changed the variable name from "meshes" to "transforms", as this is the type of object that you are storing. I also modified the call to listRelatives to only return transform nodes. This stops the program from deleting objects of any other type (such as the parent object's shape node). I also switched range to xrange, as it doesn't store all numbers from 0 to len(transforms) - 1 in memory at once. Instead it generates a single number per iteration, which reduces memory usage. I also added the if statement, even though it wouldn't fail without it, it would throw a warning stating that no object was to be deleted if there were no child transform nodes under the parent.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 21-11-2015 at 04:22 AM.
# 3 23-11-2015 , 08:39 AM
Perfect, thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated.

I can go through the MEL now and work out where I was going wrong. (Thanks also for the tip about the Python).