Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 02-02-2006 , 01:06 PM

Hinge, pin constraints and their limits.

I’m currently busy with the tutorial of a rag doll.
this rag doll tutorial
It works if you follow it exactly. But that is not what I want. The tutorial describes how you can use hinge constraints on proxies witch control joints.

The problem I have with the hinge constraints is that they only move in one direction. And I want a “hinge” witch can move in two directions (front to back, left to right). So far I know that is not possible with a hinge constraint. So I tried “pin constraints” they work, but they also move around there axis and that is not what I want. It makes the limbs look like candy wrappers when the proxies, witch control the joints, start to roll.

I have tried to give the pin constraint rotation limits by giving these limits to the joints. I also tried it by giving the proxies rotation limits. But both did not work.

My actual questions are,
  • Is it possible to give rotation limits to pin constraints? And how?
  • Is it possible to let a hinge constraint move in more than one direction? And how? (I also tries it with 2 hinges, but that is a bit messy.)
  • Ore is there another way to make “the questions above” possible?
  • Ore are there better ways to make a rag doll?
On this moment I have used the search but it gave me nothing, just as the help function.

Last edited by monn; 02-02-2006 at 04:16 PM.