Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 09-05-2008 , 10:59 PM

I heard the wachowski bros grew up on a lot of that stuff....

The Bros owned a comic book company for many years before they were directors.

But I highly agree with seeing the vast talent of those movies in the visual and special effects team. I bet those are the true "behind-the-scenes" guys that come up with the epic scenes like the elevator shootout and the matrix reloaded fight scene with the smiths.

Thank you very muchuser added image

I think theyre the ones whos should get a bulk of the credit rather than overpaid directors and producers who really only know how to count money.

Sorry to say this, but those "overpaid" D's and P's are the ones who keep us and our industry employeduser added image

and on the side, whats up with that sex change honestly??

Just another bs rumor that got WAY out of hand because the Bros HATE to do interviews as they have gotten distorted and burned in the past by doing them.
So, people just make that crap up.
Larry and Andy are both completely straight.
The brothers just laugh and allow it to snowball, lol.

Trust me, on the call-sheets for SpeedRacer, it still said "Larry" not "Laura" or whatever they claimed his tranny name to be, lol

For the record, all 3 Matrix movies were rated R.
Speed Racer is rated PG.
So, if you go to see a PG movie, you should expect it to be family-friendly and NOTHING like one would expect a rated R movie to be like.

Also, PG movies PAY a LOT more than R as you can get more of the general public in to see ituser added image
Thats one of the reasons Iron man did so well, it was PG-13.

Did I personally like it? Not really, but I wasn't a fan of the old SR show anyway.

Now the Bros are working on Ninja Assassin, and that is shaping up to be pretty sweet.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 17 09-05-2008 , 11:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I just stumbled across this and I thought as much. The trailer does look like utter crud, I know it the Wachowskis doing their thing but lets face it, its another comic book and anime show being done as a live action movie, but badly.

Yep the ol' Matrix ploy came out for the marketing of this movie, that in its own right didnt make me want to go anywhere near this film. The Matrix trilogy has gotta be one of the most boring set of movies ever!! Bullet time looks awsome back in the day as it was a fresh idea, but thats it, I think the last bits of the last Matrix movie were okay (cant recall its title, something like The Matrix Rehashed Again) but thats it, load of crap otherwise. A bunch of pointless crap in black coats that nobody can relate too.

But Speed Racer is a cartoon series and it should stay there, its not of the same ilk from Comic/cartoon series to live movie as Batman Begins or Spidey for instance, it doesnt work. the visuals may be big and bold but thats it, its a clear case of vfx taking the movie over.

And people trashed the Star Wars prequels, sinners!! I couldnt give a monkeys what the Wachowskis grew up on it doesnt make them a better class of film maker. If we had the budget to make a cool picture we would certainly spend it alot wiser and still have change to buy the theatre goer popcorn. Plus Id want to tell a half decent story I dont see any of the Wachowski movies being thrown into the Classic film category any time soon...

Cheers
Jay

# 18 09-05-2008 , 11:48 PM
Acid44

Originally posted by Jay
I just stumbled across this and I thought as much. The trailer does look like utter crud, I know it the Wachowskis doing their thing but lets face it, its another comic book and anime show being done as a live action movie, but badly.

Yep the ol' Matrix ploy came out for the marketing of this movie, that in its own right didnt make me want to go anywhere near this film. The Matrix trilogy has gotta be one of the most boring set of movies ever!! Bullet time looks awsome back in the day as it was a fresh idea, but thats it, I think the last bits of the last Matrix movie were okay (cant recall its title, something like The Matrix Rehashed Again) but thats it, load of crap otherwise. A bunch of pointless crap in black coats that nobody can relate too.
Cheers
Jay

user added image to that

# 19 10-05-2008 , 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Jay
...the last Matrix movie were okay (cant recall its title, something like The Matrix Rehashed Again) ....

Hahaha, "rehashed again" that made me laugh so hard I choked on my milk. Woo, I needed that

- Genny
# 20 10-05-2008 , 02:06 AM
19 year Veteran

Originally posted by Jay:

And people trashed the Star Wars prequels, sinners!!

LOL. I wonder how Speed Racer would have faired if George Lucas directed it.

# 21 10-05-2008 , 10:33 AM
I dont think he would have even done it, it doesnt belong to him, he does HIS thing nobody elses. Besides George 'invents' the wheel, he doesnt grind it...

_Jay

# 22 10-05-2008 , 11:09 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, but what if he did own the rights to it, and did a live action version. You know, george is into race cars and speed. This movie would have been right up his alley.

# 23 10-05-2008 , 12:02 PM
Thats very true, you're right, I forgot about that...maybe we can live in hope that it would be good then if the Episode 1 podrace is anything to go by....cos that was awsome

Jay

# 24 10-05-2008 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
cant recall its title, something like The Matrix Rehashed Again

LOL yea good one Jay. I bet the movie would be a total flop just because of the titleuser added image

in conclusion, I think "speed racer" had the right idea with massive, fast, and futuristic races. though, it shouldn't have followed an old cartoon not too many people know about, it should of been a completely fresh title so that the directors aren't too restricted on aspects the film. something more like Jay mentioned "the pod race" in episode 1 with a bit of innovation, seriousness, and stuff we haven't seen before. a flik like that would be a pretty good hit and worth a watch in my book.

Last edited by danotronXX; 10-05-2008 at 07:03 PM.
# 25 10-05-2008 , 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
I agree, the thing is, innovation is risky and lets face it, its all about the bottom line, mediocrity and ideas that have been done already are safe. It's not really about creativity or entertainment for that matter, use whatever formula works after all its a business.

- Genny
# 26 11-05-2008 , 12:13 AM
Senior Software Developer
OK time for input...

I didnt see the trailer first, I saw the poster and knew instantly it was going to be utterly dire...

I then saw the trailer and knew my first thought to be correct, crud...

And this brings me to my next point (no offence Rage or anyone else doing VFX), when will people stop basing a movie on its standard of VFX... God I mean we are seeing the same trend in the games industry. "Ohh look, isn't it pretty!!", yeah it may be pretty, but is it any good? No...

More and more we seem to push the envelope on technology to acheive the impossible, and make everything look fantastic, and what suffers... The Storyline.

A prime example is Transformers. A leader in VFX (ILM), create the best VFX shots I have seen in many a year, they were outstanding, and I base this off of the 3D World article I read about the film also. ILM pushed and created a superb VFX movie, but take that all away and whats left? I pre-pubesant teenage boy who fancies a vain mindless girl (who is so far up her own arse, you would think it was Paris Hilton). And it becomes a short love story built on tragedy, lasting about 30 mins. :zzz:

Why do we not focus on the story anymore, is it because we have become so mindless that effects are reqired to slap us in the face and make us watch. I would like to see the storyline take front stage and the vfx to sit in the background. Infact to quote from 3D World, "The best vfx are one that do not get noticed". TBH the only studio out there producing gr8 stories is Pixar and Disney, the rest churn out the odd gr8 movie and then tonnes to dross that goes straight to DVD, because even the homeless wont want to sit and watch it, and its raining outside.

The Warschovski Brothers, theft, stealing ideas, ripping off each other its going on all the time. Hollywood is full of plagarism, they deal with it. So lets start making films that tell a story, and use VFX as they were intended, to highlight the storyline or plot. To add to a scene where normally it cant be done or is to dangerous or costly.

:headbang: OK I'm ranting on, but its sad to see people being brainwashed by what looks nice, rather than whats practical or entertaining. And anyone who pays in the cinema (and its not cheap) to see this plays right into the pocket of Hollywood. You leave ashamed and dissapointed and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

So dont intead this as a kick at the VFX boys, what these teams can do, is beyond belief. Lets just get the story right first.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 27 11-05-2008 , 07:36 AM
19 year Veteran
I blame society more than the studio's and producers. As long as people keep buying tickets to this crap-o-rama, studios will keep making them. This goes for the gaming world also.

# 28 11-05-2008 , 08:28 AM
R@nsid

Yep absolutely, very similar to my comment about getting a half decent story, and not letting the vfx drive the movie.

I saw Transformers actually for the first time last week on DVD (it was never one for my attention at the cinema, and I wasnt going to waste my well earnt cash to see it, ILM or not) My reaction to it was basically 'whats that noise'!!!

VFX were cool, I'd expect nothing less from ILM, Shia la Bouef was wasted, that guy has talent, and all he did was whine, lets hope he's better in Indiana Jones, the girl - great eye candy (not worth a box of kleenex over though) but thats it. The Mum and Dad and the head of the 'secret service' lot were the best things in it, they were the only things with character.

I dont think any VFX dude reading this would take it to heart as most of those guys are just doing whats asked of them, its down to the big bosses who allow this trash to be made.

Its all a bit like fast food, looks and smells great on the outside, but once tasted you realise its all crap on the inside.

oh and Doesnt do what it says on the tin...

cheers
Jay

# 29 11-05-2008 , 08:51 AM
Jay this line made me nearly spit my brew over my PC

haha

Originally posted by Jay

The girl - great eye candy (not worth a box of kleenex over though)

Yeah you guys are right, theres a lot of bigger and better I feel without any need, yeah big monsters, explosions, robots smashing the bejesus out of each others great, but pointless if theres not actual stroy behind whats going on.

I sometimes get the feeling that a lot of movies are good "ideas at the time" but dont have the backbone to see them through, except there pushed and end up lacking in the story, but have all the bells and whistles.

As you said Jay ILM etc are just doing whats asked, and pushing the boundaries to get to the next level.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 30 11-05-2008 , 09:01 AM
LOL Steve,

Sound like you need a box of them now mate...

Absolutely right though, no backbone....

Cheers
Jay