Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 11-07-2008 , 05:09 AM
is it a business or home desktop? you have to make sure you specify which when you call hp help or you might reach a dead end.

i might ditch vista though and stick with xp.

good luck.

# 17 11-07-2008 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber

great help again

thannk you very much, again.
i'm hoping to get it settled shortly -
I actually have XP from an older PC
I just don't want to lose my work.

What I was told is that windows reinstalls and erases discs.
Macs don't - so - could be this PC has to go get serviced, I was trying to avoid the outlay of money but all is on hold to work on PC at the moment.

# 18 11-07-2008 , 06:46 AM
just save your work to a hard drive - that way you can install xp and not lose anything.

# 19 11-07-2008 , 07:00 AM
Not too sure about Vista but XP you have the option to repair without wiping the data , it copies your data and apps over and then reinstalls windows and restores the links (I've done it in the past) You loose your system restore points but it will start to make new ones right away. All you do is insert the disk and reboot and you'll get to the options to install windows, there should be an option for repair or reinstall, use repair.

I'll hazard a bet that vista will have a similar option, if your not too sure what your doing then I would suggest having a look on google or MS's website just to make sure.

It's prudent to back up your data anyway just in case (regardless of the OS, vista, XP, OSX, linux) as things can always go wrong.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 20 12-07-2008 , 08:32 AM
Subscriber

repair

OK
thanks.
I may be able to take care of this and also wrote to HP.
All of this thread has helped and informed me.

I appreciate your help.

# 21 12-07-2008 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber

screen shots of fetus

I'm adding 4 screen shots of an older version of 1/2 model of fetus.

mesh shots / smooth shots (I guess I have to add one at a time).

I've gone back to this rough version - which I know has many triangles instead of all quads - to see how far back were the errors that created problems.

In the smoother version, you can see a ridge alone the head and continuing behind the ear / along the neck

It's been a while since I did a model - probably a lot of this is my inexperience.

SO
any remarks appreciated!

PS - got an older mouse to set PC up again!

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 12-07-2008 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber

next image 2

image #2

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 12-07-2008 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber

next image 3

image #3

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 12-07-2008 , 12:00 PM
Subscriber

next image 4

image #4

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 12-07-2008 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber

model image #5

here's what was happening
later in the modelling.

I think I have to build the model again - yes?

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 13-07-2008 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber
ewww ugly..

can't you pull that dip in the neck out?
and it looks like all the vertices in the hand have been merged or are just sitting on each other...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 27 13-07-2008 , 09:43 AM
did you try the clean up tool? it looks like you just have double extrusions or maybe normals pointing in different directions.

# 28 13-07-2008 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber

yes -

I did use the clean up tool

there is a darkened area where the problems occur so I thought that there might be multiple vertices / faces extruded, as you said... but, it doesn't seem to be the case. I merged vertices one by one to be sure.

I don't know how to manage "normals".

Thanks -

# 29 13-07-2008 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber

look of model

Hi Chirone -
Please understand that the fetus model is not online for it's beauty or modeling expertise. Just for help with technical problems. It is shown here in a very rough state due to some problems with it which I encountered later - but have gone far back to see where they originated!

I work for many years in clay, so, I understand you're thinking of this as more realistic, but, it's not.

Thank you just the same.

# 30 13-07-2008 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber

Re: look of model

Originally posted by robodog
Hi Chirone -
Please understand that the fetus model is not online for it's beauty or modeling expertise. Just for help with technical problems. It is shown here in a very rough state due to some problems with it which I encountered later - but have gone far back to see where they originated!

I work for many years in clay, so, I understand you're thinking of this as more realistic, but, it's not.

Thank you just the same.

my apologies, the "ewww ugly" was referring to the technical difficulties, not to the actual model itself
the actual model isnt ugly...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D