Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-06-2004 , 02:34 PM

Final Gathering Problems

Hello I have a problem with final gathering. I render my Frst project in maya ( before i use 3ds max) and mental ray take me some problems. I read that FG min max radius is computed from scene. I measure my render windov from camera and take 10% of measured value for max radius and 10% of max radius for min radius. When I render ,the shadow from FG is almost invisible. When I choose in render options Ful information about rendering, a scene computation from Mental Ray is horribe number for my scene( look at the picture) Why? How I could fix good rendering with MR. Which value I must fill and where I could take it, I choose a lot of combination but for 0 is it the best? Render time for 640x480 20min!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Vray and 3dsMax I thing something aroun 5 minutes. I´m so sorry for my tasks, but I have been forking For 2 years in 3dsmax and Vray( I love Vray) and mental ray has little another principes. Thanks.
There is link: https://www.blackchicken.webzdarma.cz/

Settings:Spotlightsfottons-50000
Raytrace shadows
Area Light-sphere
Sampling 4;4
low level 0
low sampling 2;2
Render
Antialias min0;max2
Filter mitchel
GI
occuraci 100
radius 1.0
FG
rays-700
min;max radius 0;0

# 2 03-06-2004 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber
are your final gathering rays set to 300 or 700. If 300 than crank that up a bit to get rid of some of that artifacting under the car. I usually leave the min max at zero also be cause Maya seems to do just as good a job as putting in the numbers manually. Another thing is you may have to mess around with that spotlight. what are the settings of that light.

# 3 03-06-2004 , 06:01 PM
thatks for your reply. The final render below is with 700 rays. But there is still some lines of FG shadows below car. Light is setting good I thing. Photons is computed relative fast. Bud FG is slower and main rendering is the most slover. Why Mental ray find so large max radius if my scene is small....? And model has something around 500000 polys [Modeled by cps tool] and I saw that in the begining of rendering taking a lot time subdividing objects[all object has maximal 2 subdivides] it is normal? Why I render picture 640x480 so long...Thanks