Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-08-2004 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber

Contour Shading

Hello all,

I've stumbled upon an interesting effect for toon shading at
https://www.fenriz.org/projects/maya/

Basically its where the outline of the toon shader shades the contours of the model not just the outer edges. Every toon shader I've seen doesn't do this and this effect the authors says to use Mental Ray to create the effect. However I'm still using Maya 4.0 and do not have access to Mental Ray or any other renderer other than the standard Maya renderer. However I still want to try to capture this effect. Does anyone know of a workaround? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!
# 2 29-08-2004 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber
With Maya 6 that process just got alot easier than what the guy is doing. You o longer have to have MR custom shader knowledge to get the contour to work. All you have do do is turn on some settings in the material shader and the render globals. Other than that check out Highend3d for some toon shader plugins or check out Simplymaya plugin section.

# 3 29-08-2004 , 02:19 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the point in the right direction.

I'd love to get my hands on Maya 6 and hopefully will be able to get ahold of it but that requires a better financial situation. user added image

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!