Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-09-2004 , 06:38 PM

First Time creating a scene

hey, i was inspired by rubber chickens scene tutorial and wanted to try on for myself.. i know the texturing is a little stretched and off.... but i think what i really want to learn from this is atleast the basics of lighting.. in my night shot can someone explain how to make realistic moonlight? all i did was just dim down my ambient light which i'm sure isnt right... thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 2 10-09-2004 , 06:40 PM
my night scene

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 10-09-2004 , 07:59 PM
hey, look nice so faruser added image

About making a real looking moon, I was not sure about how to go about doing so, so I tryed iy out myself, and this is what I came up with. If this is the look you are looking for, just let me know and I will post on how touser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 10-09-2004 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
Cool looking scene there, glad my tutorial inspired you user added image
Vedic king's moon looks really good, although it could use a tad bit of blue.
The way I would go about making a moon is a simple sphere, apply a bump map for a moon like textue, and then simply mess around with shaders using ramps etc and then add a glow.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 5 11-09-2004 , 06:08 AM
i love the night scene you got there, hehe nice way to come along and beat mine:p but i wasnt trying to figure out how to make a realistic moon.. i'm trying to figure out how to make realistic moonlight.. cuase the nightscense lighting just looks a little off

the lighting i'm using is ambient light.. and i tuned its brightness down by half

# 6 11-09-2004 , 06:21 AM
Oh sorry I miss read your first post, you seid moonlight:o

Well in that case I don't really know:p

# 7 11-09-2004 , 06:44 AM
Subscriber
Thoughs are cool. Especaly the first one.. not bad at all, excpet for up close.

# 8 11-09-2004 , 10:04 AM
thanks guys.. i'll get this down soon enough.. but in the meantime i've been keeping myself buisy with an old project..i'll be bumping it up the list here shortly.. so keep your eyes peeled

vedic kings: no need to apologize.. in fact your night scene would make a pretty cool wallpaper if you were to blow it up to 1024X768

Pony: as far as it looking bad up close.. i probly could have used better things to texture with.. but i wanted to mainly practice lighting techniques

# 9 11-09-2004 , 11:03 AM
Subscriber
LOL Sorry that come out a bit wrong didn't it. I was really trying to say how good the distance looks with something that I wouldn't have thought to use becouse of the close distance stuff of it dosn't hold up so good. Its all a great job. Not to mention, haveing seans hold up under difrent lighting is great.

# 10 11-09-2004 , 06:43 PM
haha i get it.. well in THAT case thanks for the compliment Pony, i've been seeing you work since i first started coming here, so its always nice to hear when you've done a good job from you guys

BTW: do you guys know of any good lighting tutorials? it would probly help if there was something out there that told me what each lighting option did

# 11 11-09-2004 , 07:55 PM
well i learned that unless i did something wrong.. spot lighting wont give me the effect i'm looking for... if anything i think it may be ambient lighting.. does anyone know i how i can turn the lighting more blue or purpleish?

# 12 11-09-2004 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
Somewere in the attributes there will be an option to change the light colour.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 13 11-09-2004 , 08:02 PM
yeah i think i know which one your talking about but when i click on it it brings the create render node window... what i want is the color cube window (sorry i dont know the exact name of hte window cuase i cant find it)

EDIT: nevermind i feel dumb i got it now.. i should be getting an update here in a few hold on

# 14 11-09-2004 , 08:05 PM
for some reason when i rendered maya stopped responding and crashed... what happened?

# 15 11-09-2004 , 08:20 PM
ok i rebooted it and it rendered fine this time.. here the image and i think it looks ALOT betteruser added image

the only gripe i have is that the ambient lighting also turnred my night sky blue as well.. and i want it to stay as solid black as possible

Attached Thumbnails