Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-08-2005 , 03:00 PM

textures

ok im really new to maya i have 6.5 unlimited and i am trying to make a scene but i cant get textures right
Example:
This is a gas pump textures i want to put on a gas station
user added image

this is how it looks wen i render it
user added image

plz help me to not make it maessed up when its rendered

# 2 04-08-2005 , 03:25 PM
search uv map or stg like that and you will find what you want. i would like to help you but.. its a too long to explaine and i dont spek english very well.

# 3 04-08-2005 , 04:40 PM
you need to uv map the model you have made. Checlk the free tutes here or look for a written one on the web.

basic explanation:

each vert of your model has a 2d point associated with it that tells maya how to apply a texture to the 3d object. What this means is that you need ot flatten out your object into a 2d layout so you can paint onto the model. Imagine if you took a 3d cube and layed it out so it was flat you would have 6 squares that are all connected in a cross like pattern.

something like this https://www.fortunecity.com/victorian...table-cube.gif

you then export that as a tif/tga and paint your texture in photoshop or another paint program. Once you save this you can re-apply it in maya and it will place your texture onto the model and voila...

Uv layout can be tricky so don't be dissapointed if you don't get it first time it really is a black art and takes practice user added image

good luck

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 04-08-2005 , 07:53 PM
thx