Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-11-2005 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber

Render Problem with my model - HELP!

Hi Guys,

I've made a transparent skin for my balsa wood fin, but the skin isn't rendering properly.

user added image
The main wing is rendering properly, but the tail isn't. Any Idea what could be the cause?

Thanks
Paul

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-11-2005 , 02:51 AM
19 year Veteran
Just curious, what are your Mental Ray settings? It could be not enough anti-aliasing sampling, or the final gather min and max radius settings need adjusting. I'm no expert in MR, but I would check those 2 areas.

# 3 09-11-2005 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber
I've played with all that but I'm still not sure what's going on. The main wing renders OK.

I've attached the file if that helps.

Maya 6.0 File

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the way I constructed the tail.

Thanks

# 4 09-11-2005 , 09:12 AM
19 year Veteran
I believe your problem is in the modeling itself. You had hidden geometry showing up in the MR render. Try a different modeling method, and avoid doing what you did in this pic I have attached.

Please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to help out.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by THX1138; 09-11-2005 at 09:14 AM.
# 5 09-11-2005 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by THX1138
Please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to help out.

No way I could take it the wrong way. Thank you for your help. I constructed the tail section in a strange way. It achieved the desired look, but obviously MR doesn't like what I did.

Below is the way I constructed it.

Thanks Again user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 09-11-2005 , 10:22 AM
Subscriber
Your not going to believe this, but I just reconstucted it in the same way to illustrate what I did (in the above) and it seems to be working OK. I must have done something else. In any case I think the problem is gone.

# 7 09-11-2005 , 11:22 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, You probably missed a step that first time out. Glad you have the problem solved! Tail section looks great now!

# 8 09-11-2005 , 07:29 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Man, really appreciated your help. I'm hoping to get the V-tail and the folding prop done today.

Cheers
Paul

# 9 16-11-2005 , 12:49 PM
Subscriber
BMS,

I'm into all aspects of R/C fixed wing and do a little nitro and electric helis too. Can't wait to see your model when it's finished.

I've started a model of an 87" Yak 54 that is produced by my buddy who owns his own company that designs and manufactures R/C aerobatic planes.

Steve

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 10 16-11-2005 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by sjurick
BMS,

my buddy who owns his own company that designs and manufactures R/C aerobatic planes.

Steve

Hey Steve,

That is one thing I would love to do! This model is my 6 year olds Training model. He can't land it yet but he seems to be able to keep it up OK.

It you want to see further progress pictures of it Go Here.

Cheers
Paul

# 11 16-12-2005 , 11:56 AM
mYou should really get used to model without Booleans.. they seem to mess up the surfaces alot and it will end up with you loosing control ! .. Booleans is a BIG NO NO !!

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 12 17-12-2005 , 07:38 PM

Originally posted by sjurick
BMS,

I'm into all aspects of R/C fixed wing and do a little nitro and electric helis too. Can't wait to see your model when it's finished.

I've started a model of an 87" Yak 54 that is produced by my buddy who owns his own company that designs and manufactures R/C aerobatic planes.

Steve

get the move tool and go on one vertice and then drag it to the one you want it to merge to whilst holding down either v or c, cant rmember, and it will snap to the vertice.
then you must merge them, highlight them both and go into polygons and click merge

maya works
# 13 18-12-2005 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the info caligraphics. I've been using Maya close to a year now and I like using Booleans for speed, but when it causes problems it usually does it in a major way.

I'm learning slowly, thanks for the advice user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 14 30-12-2005 , 01:26 AM
wtf sensensen???? you make nooo sence.

Live the life you love, love the life you live