Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 04-03-2010 , 08:31 PM
Lifetime Member
This starting to get there for sure , Tom im thinking the yellow bricks at the bottom should have some random value so not all bricks are exaclty the same colour yellow, pick a few and darken them slightly randomly.
The dirt map seems to be coming along and you have some nice uneven texute now on the open space walls either side.
Keep working this is gonna be awesome when finished .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 32 04-03-2010 , 08:57 PM
Hi Tom!

I apologise for not commenting on this sooner, I haven't been on Sm much lately, but I have been watching it progress though and am really liking it!

I agree with what jspogg has just posted, a little randomness on the brickwork would add a dash of realism and pull it all together even more. Maybe even do that on the roof tiles also, just brighten one tile here a fraction, darken another tile there a tad etc. To break up the colouring a little.

But all in all liking how it's going so far and will keep popping in to see how it's coming along!
Hope you are well apart from that, and enjoying the cooler weather you're having now, I'll bet it does feel nice!

We in the UK are starting to have slightly brighter and fractionally warmer weather, so after the sub zero temperatures we have had of late, loving it!

# 33 04-03-2010 , 10:19 PM
The thin red line
Hi again Tom
Have you tried just a bump map on the whitewashed wall, just a thought..........dave

# 34 04-03-2010 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
First, thank you both very much for your nice comments. I do appreciate it so. And for you visiting my project!

Jsprogg, I am working on the yellow bricks now, and adding a little bump to the white walls as Dave suggested. The yellow brick and using different textures, or pictures of yellow brick, on each and staggering them is a good idea. I have the UVs laid out in a manner that would be not too bad. I didn't like the polished look that they had before. I will keep working at them.

Gav, it has been awhile and hope you are doing well. I know the last time we chatted your life was crazy! Hope you are doing good on not smoking! The weather here is rain once or twice a week and then mild and nice the rest. The Spring and Fall are why we live here. I am glad your weather is becoming better, I am sure it is nicer when you are out and about! I will look into randomizing the the texture on the roof tiles also. Thanks Gav for very nice comments on my work!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 35 04-03-2010 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
Dave, I realized that I had misunderstood what you had suggested. I thought you meant the color itself. But upon thinking on it I realized that you meant bump, like in a stucco. I am working on that now, along with the yellow bricks!! Thanks Dave for your help!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 36 08-03-2010 , 03:32 AM
Subscriber
A very good evening everyone! And I toast you all, and hope that your weekend has been good. I have an update to post and I have to say how much I appreciate the suggestions the last update. I have added the bump mapping that Dave has been suggesting. My mind was going somewhere else when I read his suggestions and missed what he had said about adding bump maps. I have also tried to implement what a Jsproggnd and Gavin suggested about trying to vary the color and/or texture on the red roofing tiles and the yellow bricks under the white walls.

I hope you guys think I have done a fair job.

Time for an Old Man to go to bed!!

1200X900 Original Render:

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...r7thUpdate.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 37 08-03-2010 , 01:06 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
that is looking a lot better, I am have a bit of trouble see the texture as I am on my daughters laptop as my monitor has died (things these days dont last that long 2years)...........liking it dave

# 38 08-03-2010 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Dave. I have another computer and the monitor for it displays things a lot darker. Isn't that the truth about the life of these gadgets. Hope you can get it replaced soon!

# 39 15-03-2010 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
Good evening everyone! Boy, with the time change it is later than I feel it is!

Wanted to post an update to my project. Sorry it has been so long. Have been trying a lot of stuff on the yellow brick on the bottom. The "I wonder if?", and "What if?" kind of stuff trying to get what I was hoping for. Not that what I have is good, but thought in my last update it was a little busy. Still need to finish the bricks, or blocks, at the top of the stairs. I also have the last panel in the entry done.

I do hope, once again, that you have had a good weekend!! And it is almost Spring!! I raise my glass, and toast to your good week!!

Original Render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...14thUpdate.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 40 15-03-2010 , 06:08 AM
Awesome texturing job OHT!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 41 15-03-2010 , 07:43 AM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
That realy looks lovely, greate detail work. I know you have no referance for the ground but may be try some cobble stones or slabs.......once they get the gallery working this should be in there...........dave

# 42 15-03-2010 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber
Good morning!! Ctbram and Dave, thank you both so very much!! I really do appreciate your very kind words!!

Dave, I had the same thought about the cobble stones or slabs. I kind of want to stay away from using bricks in the courtyard as there are enough of those already in the scene. I will work on it!! I have appreciated your help in this Dave!!

I wish for you a day, or evening, filled with smiles!! Now to finish my coffee and smoke!!

# 43 15-03-2010 , 02:27 PM
Lifetime Member
Great job Tom its looking really nice , i can see a slight repetition on the lower bricks but its not too noticable .
all in all a very good piece ..i like it alot .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 44 15-03-2010 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
Jsprogg, you have been very kind in your comments and I thank you very much. I will look into the repetition you noticed and see if I can adjust it some. It does please me that you like it and that you have visited my project!! Thanks!!

# 45 17-03-2010 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
Good evening everyone! I wanted to post an update, and it will proably be my last till I move it to Finished. I did finish the entry bricks and I added some stone in the Courtyard. I had hoped to keep the stonework in the Courtyard as benign, but as interesting as I could.
Jsprogg, I have not worked on the repetition you mentioned yet. But will before the final.

I have enjoyed this so very much. Had never worked with displacement, and creating my own, like this. And it has taught me a lot!

Thanks, especially to Dave, to everyone that has offered their opinion. It has helped. I certainly wasn't going to do all of this, but glad that I did now!

Good day, or evening, to all!!

Original Render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...16thupdate.png

Attached Thumbnails