Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-06-2011 , 12:13 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

All that is gold does not glitter,

Sorry for the cryptic thread name, but as some of you might know I am currently building a couple of characters in order to make a characterartist showreel and I want to know if this character is instantly recogniseable from the first glance.
The thread name is basically the first line from a verse that belongs to this character ( which is incidentally one of my favorite verses ever , there is a certain melody to it when you read it), so my hope is that you guys never read a book LOL.
It's basically a rough set up with a placeholder texture, I have made the basic topology ( not as elaborate as Jay has-I simply don't have the patience to keep fiddling with edge loops in Maya user added image ) in Maya using reference photo's( front and Side view) to roughly set up the landmarks, I have tried Zspheres, but I just don't get good results when stating from a sphere ..I need landmarks user added image.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-06-2011 , 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Viggo Mortensen. That nose and chin gave it away for me. Good likeness.

- Genny
# 3 26-06-2011 , 01:13 PM
Close enough user added image and thanks, I will be making aragorn and since Genny guessed it correctly this is the verse I was mumbling about user added image
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

I will make some small changes in his appearance, to resemble the description of the book a bit more ( grey eyes/pale skin/dark hair with flecks of grey), I also hope to make him more than a ordinary man and try to convey the race of numenor .
But I really liked the way Viggo portrait the character so I will keep him as a base

# 4 26-06-2011 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
Wanted to wait to see if Gen was correct before chipping in on this...

Agreed, good likeness. I actually like the texture alot too, even though you say it's just a placeholder. You gonna make the whole body or just a bust, or...?

# 5 26-06-2011 , 04:51 PM
# 6 26-06-2011 , 10:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
Great start... I knew who it was supposed to be before I saw the picture though... big LOTR fan. Anyway, looking forward to this.

# 7 27-06-2011 , 07:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Good start mate...Im not a LOTR fan at all Im sorry LOL (as my 3 sons impale me) I am however an ardent fan of Feists work which is similar...of which I one day hope to do characters from...so I will be watching you mate...good luck with it! Though I could probably model all weapons etc...organics still elude me LOL.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 27-06-2011 , 07:23 PM
Nice! I saw it was Viggo straight away, wont comment more than that until you have progressed a bit more. Looking great though so far!

# 9 27-06-2011 , 10:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hahaha I wouldnt say I was fiddling with my edge loops, they were done ages ago, Im fiddling with the finer details in maya that WILL make the difference. These things are sometimes a necessity if its to be pulled off as best possible.

Good start on this, bit chubby in the cheeks though at the moment as he's a very gaunt kinda guy. But am watching............

# 10 28-06-2011 , 07:59 PM
@stwert: thanks
@bullet1968: no LOTR fan?shame on you LOL, I don't know Feist and yes Organic modeling eludes me at times as well.
@Dango77:Thanks man
@Jay: I know ....I was only joking about the edgeloops and I agree that establishing solid foundations are a must( that's why I tend to build my start meshes in Maya..proper edgeflow and so on )

Well I haven't been able to do much, because we have had a slight heatwave hitting this normally rain invested little country, have made a rough body and am now working on the hands and feet , once I have something solid I will post an image
Thanks for all the replies guys

# 11 28-06-2011 , 10:57 PM
Lifetime Member
I remember reading the books in school...I liked the movies but I honestly think they were too 'full'...too much going on in the scenes...if you can get hold of 'Magician' by Raymond Feist...good read...he was obviously influenced by LOTR.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 12 30-06-2011 , 10:00 PM
Well be glad you could read LOTR, I had to read "native dutch literature", which are basically sobstories about how miserable life is and so on.
Well have made some progress on the body ( for some reason I always put off on the hands and feet), it's just to establish the correct volumes ( but I can't resist in detailing somewhat to get a clearer picture)and proportions, at this point I won't be bothering much with gesture since I will be rigging the character( at some point user added image-rigging equals tedious -).
Even though it's a rough block in, please feel free to comment, or even better do a draw over...an image says 100 times more than words.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 02-07-2011 , 03:58 PM
Have done some tweaks ( his chest didn't look right imo) see turntable:
here

# 14 03-07-2011 , 07:16 PM
Got a bit fed up with the character so I starte moddeling some accessoires:

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 03-07-2011 , 08:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice... is that Narsil or Anduril? Oh snap!