Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-05-2011 , 07:23 AM
Acid44

Gaming Computer Scene

A recent happening in my life has narrowed my time to try to make a career of this down to about 7 months, so I've been trying to come up with some sort of idea for portfolio pieces. I was staring at my computer trying to think of something, when it hit me. I can make a computer. Derp.

I've got the mouse, webcam, monitor, and keyboard almost done, next will be desk, then tower, then speakers, and so on.

I also plan to finish up some of my old projects, and may learn architectural modeling while I'm at it.

C&C please ;D

EDIT: 2000th post D: user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-05-2011 , 02:17 PM
The thin red line
The render on the key board looks dark and no reflections comming of them, the modelling looks good..........dave

# 3 05-05-2011 , 01:49 AM
Acid44
Renders right now are just temporary, to show the modeling. Once I have it all modeled, including the room I'm gonna do a proper one. Thanks user added image

# 4 05-05-2011 , 05:01 AM
Subscriber
you got a picture of your computer to compare?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 05-05-2011 , 08:16 AM
Acid44
I'm not making my computer, just random bits that I like/come up with.

The mouse is my own design, keyboard is my own design, monitor is Acer G24, and webcam is the PS3 EyeToy. Tower will probably be a copy of mine (Cooler Master Elite 310) Maybe if I can figure out an efficient way to do it I'll model the components too (motherboard, etc.). Oh, and speakers will be Logitech X-540's.

After some thought, this is pretty much going to be what I wish my computer was. user added image

# 6 05-05-2011 , 10:58 AM
Subscriber
oh right, i thought the webcam was the ps3 one, but thought maybe that logitech had made one similar.

the mouse doesnt have enough buttons. where's the two to go back and forward in webpages and folders?

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 7 05-05-2011 , 06:23 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

oh right, i thought the webcam was the ps3 one, but thought maybe that logitech had made one similar.

the mouse doesnt have enough buttons. where's the two to go back and forward in webpages and folders?

A lot don't have those, mine doesn't and none of my school's do.

# 8 05-05-2011 , 08:39 PM
Acid44

It's all still W.I.P., I may even make a new mouse entirely, Im not happy with the way this one came out

# 9 05-05-2011 , 09:36 PM
Lifetime Member
models look good so far mate... texturing will be the hard part...especially the desk etc

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 05-05-2011 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber

It's all still W.I.P., I may even make a new mouse entirely, Im not happy with the way this one came out

I know, i was just suggesting that you should add the extra buttons

A lot don't have those, mine doesn't and none of my school's do.

I get frustrated when computers dont respond as fast as i'm thinking. i'm constantly annoyed at this mac i'm using right now because after lunch time it just beach balls for 3 seconds after every click...
unfortunately macs don't understand mice with more than three buttons as well which is rather annoying.

# 11 05-05-2011 , 10:04 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Why lunch time particularly?

# 12 06-05-2011 , 04:48 AM
Acid44

Why lunch time particularly?

Lol'd

@Bullet - I'm not too worried about the desk, the texturing will be a pain, I'm sure, but I'm probably just going to take pictures of the wood grain on my desk and edit it slightly to match. Finding the right materials and scene setup in KeyShot will be a horror though.user added image

# 13 06-05-2011 , 04:58 AM
Lifetime Member
Ahhhh horror...yes indeedy LOL

because after lunch ones brain becomes alert whilst the Mac falls asleep....

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 14 06-05-2011 , 07:14 AM
Acid44
^Haha!

Little more work. Desk modeling is almost done, texture is a stock texture in KeyShot, but close enough to how mine will be to use as a draft, and I've done a slight bit of work on materials/thought a bit more about the scene setup.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be modeling the components at this point. Decided on the case I model being a Coolermaster HAF X, or HAF 932. And uh... Something else, but I've forgotten.

Anyways, this is more just to show how the desk will be laid out/scaling. Ideas/crits?

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 06-05-2011 , 10:46 AM
Acid44
Little preview of what's to come, Cooler Master HAF 932 started. Must have forgotten to delete the history before exporting for KS though, but oh well. Too tired to get a proper render at the moment. Night all.

Attached Thumbnails