Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-10-2002 , 05:00 AM

Rigging - Iconic Controllers - How?

Any one know how to create Iconic Controllers, also known as Control Curves? They're outlines of Cubes or Shapes that surround certain areas of a character's body and are linked to animation controls for that particular area (especially feet and hands).

Why or how they're Curves I don't know, Anyway...anybody know how they're created, or know of any character setup tutorials that explain these controllers?

Cheers!
user added image

# 2 09-10-2002 , 06:55 PM
Subscriber
not sure what you're tlaking about, care to explain? user added image

do u mean like the ik solver you use to rig a spine? the CV curve IK?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 10-10-2002 , 05:57 AM
Hard to explain what I mean, but if a picture is worth a thousand words, go to this website for a picture of what I'm asking about:

https://www.everythinglinux.com.au/it...1dfde2e1ad3c36

on the cover of the book, the main character (in the red t-shirt) has outlined shapes surrounding parts of his body that are used as animation controls, supposedly easier than rotating joints (are joints so hard to rotate?)

Anyone know anything about these type of controllers?

Cheers!
user added image

# 4 10-10-2002 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber
well the site doesnt work cos of a 500 error, ill try later
but no1 rotates joints on their own, thats insane user added image people use IK (SC, RP, spline?) or they use SDK (tis really helpful)

- Simon

# 5 10-10-2002 , 10:11 PM
Okay - try this link

https://www.mayaassociation.fsbusiness.co.uk/p5.htm

it's a list of animation books, scroll down a bit and click on either;

Premier Press Inspired 3D Character Animation
or
Premier Press Inspired 3D Character Setup

The character on the cover of the books has the control shapes about him that I'm so curious about.

# 6 10-10-2002 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
not 100% sure, but are they just locators with attributes assigned to them? but just different shapes?

or are they like lattice deformers which deform the part of the body theyre attached to?

i believe the books say theyre not software specific, which means not nessecarily done in maya, i have seen those round things in MAX, theyre called gizmos, they function the same as locators (tho there are exceptions which i wont get into)

i mite b able to tell you how to do it (in maya), not the way they might mention in the book, but a way around it/similar to it if I knew what theyre used for

- Simon

# 7 11-10-2002 , 06:05 AM
Thanks nem-I'll get back to you tomorrow on that-it's 2 in the morning here and I'm off to bed.

Good Night