Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-09-2006 , 06:29 AM

How should I really learn Maya

I know a little about maya because I learned a lot in school.
I also finished the cartoon dog tutorial and it was very informal.
I am worried that by just looking at tutorials that I may miss key features that I may need to know. So, how else should I learn maya, or am I ok doing the tutorials¿¿?? user added image user added image user added image
I'm only 16, and have some time but, I wanna learn as much as I can.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 16-09-2006 , 09:35 AM
If you really want to keep poking around with Maya, and you're don'e with checking out tutorials, two things I can suggest are:

1) Mess around with tools, operations and dynamics on your own

or

2) Find some vehicle or something on the web, and make it a mini-project for yourself to just try to model on your own. )www.the-blueprints.com has many blueprints of hard-surface vehicles and such.)

The latter is rather nice, as it's both good to test out what you really know, and you can post your stuff here and get feedback
user added image

# 3 16-09-2006 , 11:18 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice. It's kinda like findin' out what I don't know on my own, like a scavenger hunt or somethin.
But, I did notice that the site only gives one back view, and maybe a side view for some blueprints. What about the front views?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 16-09-2006 at 11:33 AM.
# 4 16-09-2006 , 07:08 PM
Senior Software Developer
Just check to the right of the link on "blueprints" it will state what images it has. F, S, T, B etc...

There are many ways to learn Maya. Universities like Gnomon, DAVE etc... Some community colleagues run courses and theres the online option. Personally I have learnt lots by having to fork out cash on books & DVD's etc...

All worth while. Also this is a great site and community and you will learn a lot from those who give constructive crits. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 16-09-2006 at 07:11 PM.
# 5 19-09-2006 , 10:08 PM
O.k. Thanx for the advice.user added image

# 6 23-09-2006 , 12:52 PM

i agree

i agree play around alot with the program.you will be suprised how much you learn that way.and i cant say it enough.barnes and noble.its free to hang around and read all the books they have.free knowledge is priceless.lol.anyway.they usually have alot of books on alot of animation and other useful programs.

SWEET!
# 7 27-09-2006 , 10:30 PM

Originally posted by echo red
Ok, thanks for the advice. It's kinda like findin' out what I don't know on my own, like a scavenger hunt or somethin.
But, I did notice that the site only gives one back view, and maybe a side view for some blueprints. What about the front views?

Allright, in all truth, not all the blueprints are complete >.<

Best to pick one that is complete ^.^

# 8 28-09-2006 , 04:25 PM
O.k. I figured that one lol.user added image

# 9 02-10-2006 , 02:08 AM
you may take a look at maya's HTML help, by pressing F1 key! It may ne useful

# 10 02-10-2006 , 02:10 AM
you may take a look at maya's HTML help, by pressing F1 key! It may be useful.

# 11 06-10-2006 , 05:22 AM
Look 18 too i have learn maya for 2 yers now my fritjsut webt in explro tools in maya

"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein.
# 12 25-10-2006 , 05:54 AM

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 13 26-10-2006 , 03:18 PM
look for a dvd ony lynda about modaling in maya it will teaCH you THE BASICS IN A MATTER OF DAYS ITS JUST A MATTER OF REVISING WAT YOU WHENT OVER (sorry for caps loc)

-Dosn't have a discent one fo this site-
# 14 28-10-2006 , 02:12 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I think a combination of all is the best way to learn maya, i'm currently following a course in maya(in holland)
I've purchased the following books;
-advanced maya texturing and lighting by lee lanier
-learning maya 7 foundation
-learning maya the modeling and animation handbook
-maya ultimate workshop by luc petitot
-learning maya unlimited features
-the game animators guide to maya by michael mc kinley
-complete maya programming by david ad gould

I also would recommend the lynda.com tutorial==> https://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=150
or if you have the money the tutorial from 3dbuzz.com
https://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_info_mfc.php

with the first tutorial i started with maya myself about the second one i can only say that it's well recieved by the 3d community and has a review devoted to it in the magazine 3d world

Good luck user added image