Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-02-2008 , 08:34 AM

Camera settings...

Hi all,

somewhere along the line I've managed to mess up my camera settings. What are the recommended settintgs for a camera, in terms of focal length and angle of view (and any others I should be aware off).

thanks

gubar

# 2 09-02-2008 , 09:04 AM
What for? Just the standard maya default settings for a camera or someting more special?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 09-02-2008 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
you might want to check the camera aspect ratio is the same in the AE as it is ion the render globals.., but its not that important.

if you mess up any tool, including cameras.., just go to 'reset.'

if you change your camera settings to HD for example.., then you will need to reflect them in the render globals

if you are using HD.., you will need to change you device ratio and aspect ratio (so the camera settings are the same as the render globals.)

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 10-02-2008 at 02:39 AM.
# 4 10-02-2008 , 04:07 AM
Hi,

I was just wanting a camera with a decent amount of perspective for modeling (not to much distortion) but one which would let me got close enough to the objects without zooming past.

I've got something decent, someone posted what they called an ideal setting earlier. What I've got will do though,

cheers

gubar

# 5 10-02-2008 , 08:14 AM
I generally set the focal legnth to 50mm to correct for persp distortion (as you would see going from maya to Z and back if you dont), and whack up the far clip plane

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 10-02-2008 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
steves advice is great.., 50 mm is close to how we see., when we look straight on.., this is somewhat controversy here at SM.., but thats what i was taught at uni.., jay told me here that our eyes were closer to 28 mm.., im wondering if the stereo view (two eyes combined0 somehow makes a total of 50mm.., but its just s theory and im raving on too much now.., again!! i should look (pun) into it more closely.

you can avoid 3 point perspective if you are doing high-rise, urban environment using camera off set

this will stop the 'stretching of the image and is something all architects are aware of and avoid.

this is three piont perspective

Attached Images

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 11-02-2008 at 12:00 AM.