Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-01-2009 , 09:26 AM

render layers and sss shaders

ok, so i'm trying to get my head around render layers. I have a scene set up with a fly sitting on a leaf - the leaf has been imported into the scene and has a sss fast simple shader attached.

the problem is that when i render the diffuse layer, the leaf still renders with it's specular highlights, while the fly renders flat - as it should. is there something i'm missing? i thought it might be the sss shader, but when i render the occlusion layer it seems to work fine.

help!

# 2 02-01-2009 , 10:09 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Arran

I dont think SSS works so well on the diffuse pass setting. I have the same gripe, I usually do it as a beauty pass, then render the rest of the passes normally and add to it (which isnt unheard of either)

but if anyone knows better, then I'd love to hear as well

Jay

# 3 02-01-2009 , 10:17 AM
Hey Arran

Yeah I did a check, Maya basically cant hack it. The answer is either to do what I do, use a new shader, or turn off the specular settings for SSS before hitting the render.

thats it!

Jay

# 4 02-01-2009 , 11:17 AM
hey - thanks jay - really appreciate your help - it's always good to find out it's maya that's having the problem... and not you! user added image

render layers are new to me so i'll have a play and will keep your advice in mind.

in the meantime here's a little tutorial for breaking subsurface scattering into layers that may be worth a read. user added image

https://www.nickbartone.com/docs/subs...rsTutorial.pdf

# 5 02-01-2009 , 11:56 AM
No Probs mate, thanks for the link

Jay