Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-07-2010 , 09:27 AM

How to create this Texture? bumpmap or normal?

hi guys
I came cross very nice texture that impress me to make it, I tried some way but its looks bit flat, I mean the floral vector are flat, doesn't look bumpy, that is why I need your opinion and Advice, what is the best to create this kid of texture, bumpmap or Normal map? I do have the texture and how do I create the bumpmap from the texture? is just Grayscale enough? Need bit of ur help

if you know something plz say something. otherwise one link should be enough....

REgards

Attached Images
# 2 16-07-2010 , 10:15 AM
I would try a bump for starters, you shouldbe able to get away with it with a high enough res.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-07-2010 , 03:05 PM
The Nurb Herd

# 4 16-07-2010 , 09:05 PM
I tried with just Bumpmap, but seem to that I have bit problem with the bumpmap file. I used photoshop and I turn the texture to Grayscale , but I think its not enough or maybe its not the right method to create bumpmap.
Anyone here knows how to create right bumpmap or how can you tell its right bumpmap for the texture? is just grayscale enough or do I need more tweaking?

Crazy bumpmap is down, plus they don't have Mac version.
any other idea?

please link or any suggestion.

regards

# 5 16-07-2010 , 09:09 PM
EduSciVis-er
You might have to increase the contrast of your greyscale image a fair bit, as well as possibly applying some filters. Just go back and forth until you're happy with the image. Just greyscaling the image won't necessarily give you the right texture, depending on what areas are lighter or darker.

# 6 16-07-2010 , 09:22 PM
@stwart
thanks for replay, well if you look at the image its very easy to tell which area should be up or bumpy. basically the brown area is flat and the flora flowers are bumpy, so I need to more focus on flowers.

regards

# 7 16-07-2010 , 09:31 PM
here is the sample of the texture, could you please tell me how your bumpmap is going to be ? that would be great if you can spend couple of mins to make it and post it here so i can see or use it.

regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 16-07-2010 , 09:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well, I don't have access to PS at the moment, but after you convert to greyscale, you'll probably want to up the contrast a lot so that the flowers are pretty much blown out, and the background is near black. That should give you a pretty decent bump map. If parts of the flowers are getting darker instead of lighter, maybe select all the flowers (using magic wand or the like) and increase the lightness instead of just the contrast.

Hope that helps.

# 9 16-07-2010 , 10:34 PM
here the Render with grayscale and I work bit with flower(lighter(. but still there is some dark area around flowers. but still I am not happy with the result,
any more idea guys?

regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 16-07-2010 , 10:48 PM
The Nurb Herd
high pass filter in photoshop is good for making bump maps.

# 11 16-07-2010 , 10:54 PM
you right hammer, but what ration is the best?

# 12 17-07-2010 , 09:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
High pass is also great for displacement maps too...works very well.

Values for either bump or displacement should be around 20 - 30 percent. Jusst play with the setting until you are happy.

cheers
J

# 13 18-07-2010 , 02:37 AM
Technical Director
It all has to do with how close this material is going to be to the camera. If it's far away, then use either a normal or a bump. If it's close, use a displacement. I've outlined the pluses and minuses of each way.

Bump map: Has position (X Y), and amplitude (black->white).
Advantages: Quick to make, quick to render.
Disadvantages: Can create banding if pushed too high. Pushes the pixels of the shader around. Does not actually move the geometry. Can not be seen from the side of an object. (Ex. The effect is lost if the camera is not face on)

Normal map: Has position (X Y), and surface normal orientation (X Y Z) mapped to R G B.
Advantages: Fast to render. More precise than bump maps.
Disadvantages: Need certain software to create the maps. Does not actually move the geometry. The surface normal in the lambertian equation (the lighting model) is changed corresponding to the normal map. Can not be seen from the side of an object.

Displacement map: Has position (X Y), and amplitude (black->white).
Advantages: Moves the geometry. Can be seen from the side.
Disadvantages: Slow to render. Sampling settings can be high. Can create banding if pushed too high.

You can also use a combination of the different maps. Many people create mid-resolution displacement maps, then use normal or bump maps to add in the fine detail.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 14 18-07-2010 , 04:06 AM
@ Next design, thanks for the replay, i am going to try what your comment, its useful information to know. but I am still trying to find out how can i make the right bumpmap for the texture that I got....

guys ...please more links and Advice..
regards

# 15 18-07-2010 , 08:59 PM
Technical Director
Instead of relying solely on filters, I would do this.

1) Desaturate the image.
2) Adjust the levels so that you pop the flowers from the background.
3) Duplicate that layer, and run a highpass on it. Make sure it only has the high-frequency detail in it.
4) Set this layer to multiply. Adjust the opacity of this layer so it adds the high frequency detail onto the lower layer.
5) Merge these layers together.
6) Take the dodge and burn tools, and manually paint in the rest of the height detail.

Making a bump/displacement map isn't an automatic process. You have to work at it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.