Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-08-2011 , 09:14 PM

Clothing Animation Help Needed!

Hi all!

-----------------
Specs
-----------------

Maya 2011 x64

-----------------
Goal
-----------------

I’m trying to set up a system where I have 1 biped base body model/rig with a bunch of different clothing options/models. The 2 options that I know of for accomplishing this are:
1. ncloth
2. binding each clothing item to the character rig

-----------------
Problem(s)
-----------------

I’d rather do 1 if at all possible, but I’m coming across a lot of problems. For example, I can get the cloth to hang from the body, but I can’t get it to move with the body (although some of the verts move around a TINY bit and get spiky). I can also pin certain verts to a point in the world, but I don’t know how to pin them to specific areas of the character’s body.

I’m also having a LOT of trouble finding any tutorials on this. I can find “cloth dropping onto a box/sphere” tutorials and “cloth blowing in the wind” tutorials, but that’s about it, and neither are entirely helpful in this case.

-----------------
Questions
-----------------

So here are my questions:

1. Are there any ways to create this character + multiple outfits setup other than the 2 that I’ve listed?
2. Does anyone know any good tutorials for rigging clothing to follow a character’s movement (through any method)?
3. I know that the ncloth issues that I mentioned are a bit vague, but do you have any thoughts on those?

Thank you so much! user added image

# 2 08-08-2011 , 09:38 PM
The thin red line
I think if you create each different outfit in its own layer then only show one at a time that should work, I dont think binding ncloth to a mesh is a good idea try point to surface to pin some parts of the cloth but try treating ncloth as a cloth meterial and make the body mesh a pasive collider.............dave

Edit:Sorry I do not know of any good tutorials

Last edited by daverave; 08-08-2011 at 09:41 PM.