Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-10-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber

Can't save as jpg format in MS Paint

I posted this same thread a few months back and never managed to get a reply to my problem. The thread has since been lost.

I just reinstalled Windows and am trying to save an image in Paint as a jpg, but can't seem to do it. MS Paint will only save as .bmp and won't open anything but .bmp files.

I solved this last time by installing my digital camera software which deals with jpgs. For some odd reason, that did not work this time. I have searched on Google, searched on Microsoft.com, and have already asked a few friends, but still cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. MS suggested that I reinstall MS Picture It! (just install in this case- not REinstall) and that would fix it, but that didn't work.

If you have ANY information on what I need to do, PLEASE tell me because I work with images all day every day and need to be able to edit them in MS Paint even if it is one of the worst image editing softwares out there.

# 2 09-10-2003 , 02:32 AM
lol! ... MS Paint can only work with and save as .bmp

Hence your problem.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 3 09-10-2003 , 03:53 AM
Subscriber
Ahh! I figured out the problem! MS Paint starts out only being able to save as bmp files, but you can change this. I have been searching for HOURS trying to figure out what the problem is. Apparently there are things called "graphic filters." These determine what image formats you can save in. According to a doc from MS's site, MS Word ha a jpg filter. Who would have thought a text editing program would have an image filter? Guess it's b/c you can actually stick images in documents, so maybe it has to have a graphics filter in order to display certain images. I dunno really.

Anyway, MS Word is one of the few things I have not installed yet, so this is where my problem exists. *whew*

# 4 09-10-2003 , 07:31 PM
Windows XP version of MS Paint can deal with PNG's, GIF's and JPEG's actually user added image

# 5 10-10-2003 , 12:56 PM
just a question...why do you work with ms paint ??!?!?!

# 6 10-10-2003 , 04:29 PM
cos some people enjoy the simpleties of working in such a primitive environment.

# 7 10-10-2003 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
1) it's fast and easy to do simple modifications to an image.
2) I know how to use it well.
3) It automatically saves jpg images in a low quality format, which I need it to do for thumbnail images for my website. (for fast loading) That's basically all I use Paint for - thumbnails.
4) It doesn't take any time to load.
5) I don't want to install Photoshop on this computer b/c I'm lazy.

If I'm doing any image work other than saving thumbnails, I'll use Photoshop. It's on the same computer Maya is on anyway. (not this computer)

# 8 10-10-2003 , 08:40 PM
SM Tea Boy
Darkware if you have time check out XnView it works great for simple image modification / viewing images.

Just if you ever want a second option user added image

David.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 11-10-2003 , 12:50 AM
Subscriber
Downloaded it.

Things I like: there is a resize option for 160x120 pixils that is just one click away. (this is good b/c my site image tags resize all thumbnail images to this size.) It saves in many different formats. Simple, easy to use.

Things I REALLY like: One of the things it installed with the program was a jpg plug-in. This enables me to save in jpg's when I right-click an image from the internet and "save as". Once again, this was one of the things I always used to be able to do before I reformatted my computer, but couldn't afterwards.

Things I don't like: lowest quality setting to save jpg's in doesn't make file sizes small enough. I have a buick emblem image on my site for instance. Paint can save the thumbnail as 4.76 KB while the lowest XnView can save it in is 15.5 KB.

Guess it's not that big of a problem really. 10 KB doesn't matter that much. I think it passes the test.

Thanks for the recommendation David.