Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-10-2014 , 12:28 PM
Subscriber

Linear Workflow problem

Hey guys.

I've got a problem with my renders. I want my final render files (.exr, .tga... whatever works!?), to look exactly like my what's showing in my V-Ray frame buffer. I can't seem to get it right!?

I guess it's somekind of gamma problem - does anybody know what i'm doing wrong?

All the best,

Mikkel

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-10-2014 , 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
I don't use V-Ray but it looks like a display issue, specifically, it looks like the render view is using sRGB color space. There has to be some kind of control there to turn that off. This is why the exr looks ok(gamma was applied once via the render view), the png looks washed out since it's an 8bit image(already has gamma applied) and the render view is applying it again. The third image appears to be without gamma compensation.

If you're outputting to png, just turn off sRGB color space display while working. If for whatever reason you'd like the gamma correction baked into an exr output then adjust the gamma to 2.2(Since the render view is displaying in sRGB color space, I'm taking it that there is a color space/color mapping gamma setting somewhere in the render settings and that's defaults to 1.0). Either way, turn off the sRGB display to avoid applying gamma twice.

- Genny
# 3 20-10-2014 , 08:51 AM
Subscriber
Hey Gen.

Thank you for the reply - I'll look into that.

The thing is - the first image is my V-Ray frame buffer, the second is the .exr and the third is the .png.

So maybe i'm not quite following!? user added image

# 4 20-10-2014 , 10:18 AM
Subscriber
Ahhhhhh.... My .exr looks great, when i open it in photoshop. Apparently it's my default image previewer in my OS X which is not quite capable of handling .exr files.