Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 01-04-2005 , 06:58 AM
Subscriber
starting work on the legs. Kinda a ruf geo draft.

user added image

# 32 01-04-2005 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
well I thought I better have some sence of how it fits in, so work on a skin that might be used latter.

user added image

# 33 01-04-2005 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
Neat. Nice and clean. Looks like there's going to be a nice mix of organic and mechanic here. Still keeping us on haul naughty naughty.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 34 01-04-2005 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
looking excellent, Pony. It's been a while since I've seen this modeling technique...looks like it'll be awesome, though. Can't wait to see the progress user added image

# 35 01-04-2005 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber
Looks very cool. Although I'll have to confess to being kind of lost during the physic/engineering lessons user added image

Will the mechanics be visiible? or is everything to be skinned over?

btw... you feeling any better? Looks like you making faster progress now.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 36 02-04-2005 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber
Bunnies, glad you like and cool about recogniseing the technique !

mhcannon, part of that on the engineering part could be my falt, I'm not use to ummm.. makeing or explaining displays of that nature. Yes the mechanics will be visible, but at some point dirring a animation the skin might be put over. Don't know that it will get to that in the challange, not exactly part of the requiremnts. Yeah feeling better, and also part of the resons for the slowdown will show up latter as progress. user added image

Ok just got up not to long ago. Starting up again.
user added image

# 37 02-04-2005 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
bean rocking away here. So here is some skin, not final but close enough to see how things fit and make sure it will all move right.

Will be doing some rigging next.. might scrap though. The rig is just to test with.

3 views of the skin.
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 38 02-04-2005 , 10:43 AM
Subscriber
well its def the weekend judging buy the readers. LOL
got the skeleton half riged up, and geo parinted etc..

Larger image ! click here.

user added image

# 39 02-04-2005 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber
i like it alot

keep up the great work

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 40 03-04-2005 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
ok testing skeleton is all rigged up to animate or test the limets on the workings of it.
all the controles are done . etc..

for larger click here

user added image

# 41 03-04-2005 , 04:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looking good, Pony. user added image Don't you have an old horse model you can use by now? lol j/k

# 42 04-04-2005 , 07:18 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike. Great to see ya around. Don't worry there will be more robot before I'm done here. oh and yeah.. go figure. who would have thought I would do a horse.. LOL well at least I think I really do have a clever use for one. Also not like you see a lot of 4 legged robots running around really.

Last edited by Pony; 24-04-2005 at 06:20 AM.
# 43 04-04-2005 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
it is looking good Pony, as usual, got a question for you, do you own a horse?

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 44 04-04-2005 , 02:34 PM
It is a very unusual modeling technique the way you made the skin. How do you go about it? Imagine the finished mesh from a side angle before even started to model and draw it on a 2D reference image?
Why you choose this over cutting polys as you model along?
Looks great though :tup:

# 45 04-04-2005 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
dae, no I dont' have any horses. Damn shame, LOL love them. Maybe someday.. If you got horses and your close to Tucson, let me know.. LOL

Eelco, thanks for the nice words. In a post soon I'll tell you about how I do it in depth. Yeah I do imagine the mesh like that a lot recently, because of other models I've worked on. I have more of an idea of what works for me and the results. Also there was a horse I did at a earlyer time that I learned a lot from. I used a lot of that knowing to help me decide where to place the edge loops. Worked great. Still might need to make alterations when I start deforming the skin part. I chose this way for the skin because I know a lot about what I want and just went right for it. For me its faster. and yeah there is still some edges and other things I have to take care of after I have all the verts pulled out. But more about this after a little bit, I need to get some things done right now.
BTW the mechanical parts I use a bit more different techniques on.. Even some box modeling.

Last edited by Pony; 05-04-2005 at 12:29 AM.