Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-01-2006 , 01:07 PM

Displacement problem

I made a displacement map for my model using Zbrush. It's a 16 bit Tiff file.

I set up everything in Maya as per the instructions but when I try to render with Mental Ray, I get a message that the tif file format or sub-format is not supported. I don't get it. Plus, when I try to render, the system almost comes to a hault..

When I render the same model with the same displacement using Maya's renderer, it works.

With mental Ray I have to convert the model to SubD before rendering. With Maya's renderer, I don't have to.

any ideas what might be going wrong?

# 2 25-01-2006 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
MR for maya does not read 16bit tiffs,
u have to convert it to 8 bit with mf_copy or photoshop.

# 3 25-01-2006 , 04:28 PM
WOW! Is that it?

I will give it a try.

Strange that the Zbrush DVDs that I'm using to learn specifically state that you need to use a 16 bit tif. Maybe I missed a step or didn't comprehend what they were saying.

Does Mental Ray stand alone support 16 bit tifs?

Thanks Vlad. By the way, I bought a Mental Ray Tutorial off of Ebay from a guy names Vladimir. Is that you? If so, thanks. I am learning a lot from it....

# 4 25-01-2006 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
thats not me.

not sure about MR standalone. i know PR for Maya support 32bit float tiffs....
albeit xsi which also uses MR 3.4 supports 16bit -32bit floats as well, i never had issues with 8bit tiff in maya or lack of details.

# 5 26-01-2006 , 01:55 PM
I found out that you can use a 16 bit tif for displacement as long as you convert it to rgb first.

# 6 31-01-2006 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber
yup. that works too.
but file size for 16bit is twice as big. and 8bit gives same detail and half the file size.