Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-10-2007 , 08:02 AM

cloud castle

I am unsure if this is possible but I am attempting to create a castle that is formed of clouds. I am working on the basic model for the castle as a simple poly object but am unsure how I can go about turning it into clouds.
If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be a great help.

# 2 23-10-2007 , 08:41 AM
Hide it then emmit fluids or particles form the object.

Theres some cloud examples in the visor that might give you some settings of getting it looking good.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 23-10-2007 , 10:30 AM
Thought it would be something simple like that. Thanks Gster, now all I have to do is get the castle done and give it a whirl.

# 4 07-11-2007 , 01:51 AM
I agree that you can have the castle emit fluid to form the clouds but there are a few important steps that will help make it keep the look of the castle:

When you emit the fluid from the model, don't use any turbulence or buoyancy or dissipation or dispersion. This way, the fluid will be emitted but won't go anywhere. After you emit enough fluid, turn the emitter off (set the density/sec to zero. After that, turn on some turbulence for 2 or 3 frames then turn it off. This will relax the fluid and make it more cloud like. After that, set the initial state for the fluid and rewind the timeline (make sure the emitter and turbulence is off). Now, on the fluid shape node, go to the texturing section and turn it on for density and play with the settings and do some quick low res renderings. On the same node, go down to lighting and turn on shadowing.

I left out a lot of small things that you have to do, like setting the density curve and other settings but I assume you have some understanding of fluids. If you need more specifics I'll try to help.

# 5 17-11-2007 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
If making the castle out of fluids would be too processor intensive then you could always make the castle, emit particles from object, turn the speed down to 0 and chuck up the tangent and normal speed to say 5 or so, this way the particles stay on the surface.

Chris

# 6 17-11-2007 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber
i think that way it is hard to get the final look right...

never tried it before. still a sprites newbie but I would try to render out lets say 50 frames of a lttle cloud put this in a loop on a sprite. delayed of course. and then putting sprites on all the verts of the castle like bendingiscool suggested.

i think the render times will be better and you have two process'.
1. get the clouds right
2. get the particles right

maybe its easier, but between fluids/sprites and me there is still a wall.

greets