Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-04-2011 , 07:22 PM

Precision Scaling

This seems like a dumb question but google and I cannot seem to find the answer. If I select a bunch of vertices and want to scale them (or move them for that matter) where can I type in a specific value for that scale? Thanks!

# 2 04-04-2011 , 03:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Is this what you wanted mate?? I dont know how to make the window bigger to see the list...maybe higlight them and do something? dunno about that

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 04-04-2011 , 04:21 PM
EduSciVis-er
Unfortunately, besides what bullet posted, which is pretty awkward and only really useful for moving I think, I don't know of a way to do what you want. It seems a glaring omission by Autodesk.

# 4 04-04-2011 , 04:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
Actually, come to think of it, you can turn on discreet transforms in the tool options, so if you want to move something 23.5 units, you can put that in the discreet move field. I think it has the same sort of thing for scale.

# 5 04-04-2011 , 09:28 PM
Lifetime Member
I have had this issue since I started stwert...Maya isnt designed for absolute value data input...which is a pain. I guess that what ACAD is for...or Sketchup...Im told modo has this option.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 05-04-2011 , 09:49 AM
There are relative and absolute inputs in status line.
Only the relative will work with components, if you want to move a bunch of components you need to create a cluster to control the your components selection and then you can move that to an absolute position.

You can always just use the command line.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 7 05-04-2011 , 12:08 PM
Lifetime Member
So it can be done LP....I assume with great pain? Im used to Survey software which is made for it...so Maya really annoyed the hell out of me. Scaling is always painful, I have however got used to using the grid and altering that to various grid spacing when needed, found that quicker but still cumbersome. Still your post was useful to me...thanks mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968