Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-09-2011 , 10:16 AM

Lost Transform Attributes

Hello! user added image

I have a big problem: I am working with Maya for my bachelors thesis: I have to create a "Persona", which basically consists of Spheres and a convex hull around them.

Last time I translated all the spheres, saved the project and closed Maya. Today I opened it again and saw that all my transform coordinates were gone!

The attachment shows a screenshot of the Attribute Editor and the coordinates - which are zeros and ones. In order to create my convex hull I have to have the xyz coordinates ... I do not know what to do anymore. I deleted user prefs, opened older versions, but in every project its the same! How do I get my coordinates back? user added image user added image

Thank you very much!

Last edited by iniwini; 01-09-2011 at 11:59 AM.
# 2 01-09-2011 , 12:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
I can't see the screenshot, but did you Freeze Transformations on the spheres?

# 3 01-09-2011 , 02:12 PM
Hi!

No I didn' freeze them - but I just recognized that when I click on the group in the outliner window where the sphere is in, it shows me all my coordinates again - like always. :-) But when I click on the sphere in the scene it does not show me anything ... strange!?

# 4 14-09-2011 , 01:52 AM
easy enough to fix though.

just create a few new objects or locators and then just snap them to the center of the spheres. These new objects will then have the correct transpose coordinates of the objects that have had their transforms frozen.

oh I read your last post. yes if you grouped the spheres and then moved the groups then the group node will have the global transpose coordinates and the objects in the group will have the relative coordinates to the group they are contained in. either use the group coordinates or ungroup the contained objects and they will once again have global transpose coordinates.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 14-09-2011 at 01:55 AM.