Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-11-2014 , 02:12 PM

Broken UV map - please help!

Hi guys,

I've searched everywhere for an answer to this question and haven't been able to find one. I'm sure it's probably something simple but please forgive me if this has been covered in another post...

My problem is with a UV map which was absolutely fine for a while but seems to have completely broken after I've moved the Maya Binary file.

I built, unwrapped and textured a very simple, low poly treasure chest and produced these renders:

user added image

As you can see, all the UV's had been laid out efficiently and the texture was (fairly) clean without distortion. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the original UV map.
I saved the file and re-opened it several times with no issues. Then I saved it to USB and moved it to another computer.

Upon re-opening it, my UV map looked like this:

user added image

The lid has remained in tact but the UV's on rest of the model are completely broken (it is compromised of 4 objects; the body, lid and 2 handles. Both handles and the lid are children of the body). Now whenever I open the original .mb file on my home computer, the UV's are broken there too.

Anybody got any idea what has caused this and how I can prevent it from happening again in the future?
Any help would be much appreciated!

# 2 13-11-2014 , 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
I think you may have stumbled on to an old bug. Try deleting the history before saving out from the original machine.

- Genny
# 3 20-11-2014 , 01:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Gen. I'll make sure to do so in the future and hopefully I won't run into the same problem again...