Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 11-06-2009 , 05:33 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by vladimirjp
im not having a go at Z,

.... yeah, thats right.... keep walking. :rant:

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 17 11-06-2009 , 08:33 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
" Ain't that the same as whay Jay posted?"

Haha stupid me user added image i thought that was the GO Z link
But i made you look didn't I? LOL

And vladimirjp there isn't a package that is perfect, but unlike Maya and Max, the makers of ZBrush release an update when they have developed something new and not because a year has passed and they just cram in some new features.
I mean up until now i think Maya 7 was the best update stability and interface wise, Autodesk has no idea how to make an effective interface and instead of making the interface cleaner they just add more crap and develope 2 tools where they could develope one(change the insert edgeloop and slide edgeloop into an insert edgeloop where you can slide the edge in the construction history, if anyone remembers it was in MJ Polytools)And if i am not mistaken they will add a ribbon interface to all 2010 products with that nice office 2007 interface nobody likes.

I amreally glad there are still companies like Pixologic and Sideeffects to name a few who aren't in it soley for the profit and shareholders for that matter.

Just my two centsuser added image

# 18 11-06-2009 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Mayaniac
.... yeah, thats right.... keep walking. :rant:

:p

# 19 11-06-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
mastone, ribbons in maya??? are you serious??? (i heard they were adding ribbons in MSPaint too)
maybe it's the whole early-adopter attitude but ribbons as so BS... i still can't find all the old functions in word that used to exist in 2003...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 20 12-06-2009 , 04:19 PM
I have to agree with Mastone on this one, no interface is perfect. I started out right here with maya 7. I couldnt say it better myself. I found softimage fell in love it with interface and all. But since autodesk owns it now we might see a down grade in quality. Im hoping thats not the case.

Ive been messing with houdini lately, and i must say im impressed, though i wish there render region tool actually worked for me user added image

# 21 12-06-2009 , 04:25 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Yeah, i don't know why people complain about the interface, I actually really like it. I find that the process of performing an action is slightly weird, and sometime unnecessarily prolonged... and spread out over several tools.... too many switches have to thrown in order to do certain things. Like when you go to re-topo something, you don't just grab the re-topop tool and have at it... you have to activate several things before you can start... like some form of launch sequence... 10, 9, 8, 7.... but once you hit 0... there's no holding you back!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 22 13-06-2009 , 02:30 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
@Chirone;
I saw a demo of autocad that has ribbon, 3ds max has ribbon, on top of that Autodesk makes no secret that they want to unify everything and i don't mean unifying in the best sense of the word like how zbrush makes a button (GOZ) which makes sure you can switch between package more easily although the packages are entirely different, no they mean unifying in the way that interfaces and terminology look the same between Maya, Max, Motionbuilder.(viewcube and instead of polygons they call it meshes now in maya like in 3ds Max-there are more examples).
Which takes everything away that is unique about a package.
The people at Autodesk haven't developed anything for themselves for years, maybe even decades.
Just take a look at their homepage and try to find specific information about a package somehow you always end up where you started, there's absolutely no logic in the interfaces and tools they incorporate .

But the credit crunch could do some good here, like christianity did to the roman empire user added image
Nothing can maintain perpetual growth if it get's to big it crumbles on itself so if it happened to all the " great " empires in history why not Autodesk user added image

# 23 06-07-2009 , 11:18 PM
Acid44
^that's why it took so long for me to change from maya 7 to maya 2008, and why im not getting any newer versions... ever... unless they do something bloody amazing to ituser added image