Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 08-04-2011 , 03:13 AM
Subscriber
memories.....back in the good ole days when those cartoons teach us valuable life lessons like consideration, teamwork and abstinence.
I see u forgot out Darkwing duck, TaleSpin and xmen cartoon series...lol
I hear u Tweetytunes. For me (back then) Disney was why I got into cartooning.

This thing needs its own thread manuser added image

# 17 08-04-2011 , 12:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

the good cartoon version of TMNT
The Raccoons
The Real Ghostbusters
Roobarb and Custard
Sharky and George
The Smurfs
Superted
Inspector Gadget
Ivor the Engine
Jamie and The Magic Torch
King Rollo
The Moomins
Morph
Mr Men
Dangermouse
Ducktales
The Flumps
Garfield & Friends
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Count Duckula
Spiderman and his amazing friends

These are all the ones in the list I remember but there are many more:

Bump the elephant
Pingu
Elmer the elephant
Bagpuss
The Clangers
Mr Benn
Wombles
Looney toons
The animaniacs
House of mouse

And those are just the older shows I remember.

But I remember why I got in to animation, it was because of Wallace and Gromit (and later Pixar).
Who needs Disney when you have Pixar?

Last edited by elephantinc; 08-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.
# 18 09-04-2011 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber
I remember and know of quite a few of those listed..

an update. This hand took far too long (about an hour)

heres the old and the new one. the new one is more symmetric like mewtwo's hand. so many polys go into hands... almost half the faces in the model is both hands
im still well below the face limit though. 2292 faces, 1180 just on hands. it's hard to believe there are 590 faces in such a small piece of mesh...

update: I needed to see the flexibility of mewtwo now that he's practically complete (the legs, arms, head, and the thing at the back of his head aren't attached) so i made a roughly proportional proxy and changed it to the transformed form.

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 09-04-2011 at 02:47 AM.
# 19 09-04-2011 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
Went back through the proxy to make it better estimate the actual body after finding it'd be easier if the proxy was a little more accurate.
Just avoiding binding and soft skinning mewtwo because I'm not entirely sure if i'll end up attaching his limbs to his body. if i dont need to attach the limbs then i wont.
I've key framed the skeleton as well, in one frame it's in the vehicle position, in another it's in the mewtwo position. I can switch between the two frames and shape the armour to how i want it. some parts of the armour that is fairly complete are parent constrained so i can see if the armour will actually fit in both forms.

so far the tail and the forearm piece follow the proxy's movement. The forearm piece will be split up later so it compacts better for the mewtwo form.

as you can see, while the tail pieces fit perfectly on the vehicle form they don't quite fit on the mewtwo form to give the wanted flexibility to the tail

i'm not sure if i'll keep the little wings because it's making him look like a dragon fly, especially with that giant tail of his.

Attached Thumbnails

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 09-04-2011 at 10:00 AM.
# 20 09-04-2011 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
Thats pretty cool. Do you think you'll wind up doing a small turntable or animation of him changing positions between mewtwo and vehicle?

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 21 10-04-2011 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber
hopefully. the way things are going at the moment i wont have to worry about soft skinning the the whole thing. the legs are starting to be completely covered in armour, so i dont have to worry about issues there.

update.
managed to make a bit of the chest piece and had to do something with the front of the vehicle form. Originally i didn't want the front piece to stay like that in Mewtwo form, i wanted to split it into shoulder pieces, but i made it more like a vest like what sub zero and scorpion from the original Mortal Kombat has.
i'll soft skin it later I guess, so it doesn't stick out so much

By the looks of it, there might not be much armour on the arm other than the cannon shape on the forearm which folds up. I might try to make it look more like mewtwo's original armour.

I was originally going to have someone stand on top of the vehicle form and ride mewtwo like a skate/hover board but i tried putting someone on as if he were a motorcycle. I might stick with that.

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 10-04-2011 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
I would like to say that this is actually quite a cool thing to model. It's really quite fun. That and i'm using it to procrastinate from more pressing matters...

the updates this time is the tail is more complete with a rotor thingy. I saw it on the banshee posted in the first post and figured i should have it, since all helicopters have them.

A few adjustments to the hand cannon, probably all the effort that went into it will go unnoticed, but it was necessary or it actually would have looked bad.

I've re-jigged the colours a bit using my fake texturing that i've been doing ever since my first model. That is, colour in the faces by selecting them and then changing the material. If i don't get round to texturing then at least there will be some kind of cool looking colour. It would be bad if i dont lay out the UVs of this though, because the faces aren't exactly arranged for nice patterns and since its supposed to be low poly i wont get the detail i'd probably want.

i've attached a screen shot too. As you can see not all the armour has been constrained to the proxy model. This is because they'd need set driven keys or something to actually function, and i can't be bothered with that right now..

excluding the proxy model there are 6328 faces, more than there actually is because of the double ups on pieces of armour

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 11-04-2011 , 09:47 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I suppose this would be called mewthree then?
Mew was really nice and mewtwo was really mean so I dread to think what he'll be like...

# 24 12-04-2011 , 10:49 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Its coming along really well

# 25 12-04-2011 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
Really cool - well done

# 26 12-04-2011 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber
elephantinc: mewthree? hmm, probably still mewtwo

murambi: thanks! i'm quite proud of this so far!

tweety: thanks! means lots that you think so.

what do you guys think of the colours so far? i know the current decor isn't anywhere final, but do you guys think the colours work? i'm crap at telling what works well ay...
I just thought these were quite mewtwo-like colours... purple and grey-blue

i think it should have some bright colour in there too, but used very little, like the bahamut in the video of my first post. I suppose i have white there too, so i can stick with that as the bright colour... although it doesnt look bright at this moment.

new wing design. switched to mental ray. blinn materials.
almost done...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 13-04-2011 at 11:45 AM.
# 27 14-04-2011 , 12:10 PM
Subscriber
gave him a helmet and rearranged the vehicle head pieces to hopefully allow for better articulation of the arms.

don't know if i should keep the helmet or just add xmen influence on it...

opinions anyone?

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 14-04-2011 , 04:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
Cool, I really like how this is shaping up!

# 29 17-04-2011 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
gave him more defined eyebrows like the original character.

remade the helmet and gave him a mohawk

I need to move into the texturing already....

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 19-04-2011 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
Looks good Chirone! Should look really good when you finish the texturing.

~To create a new world through the imagination