Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-04-2003 , 01:11 PM

Maya wishlist........

Hi all,

Yes I know that version 5 has just come out but,

I'm keen to see what people would like to see in future versions of Maya, eg. 5.5 etc.....????

I find (using a variety of 3d applications) that Maya is still behind many other 3d apps in numerous ways. btw I still love Maya!!!!!

This is not meant to be a winge list, but while AW was securing seats in Maya (post sept 11) by lowering their price, etc..

other company's made huge leaps forward in research and development of their products.

I'd be really keen to see,

much, much faster SubD's (I don't need 12 levels of refinement maybe just 2)

well implemented proportional modelling tools on par with other 3d apps.

the display of weight curves on clips and poses in trax.

the ability to cache a viewport like xsi. eg. open to full screen your 100 K One-piece SubD character, cache the viewport and watch your character move in real time while you navigate your 3d viewport.

Make multiple blendshapes from a single mesh.

Anyway,

Maya has a fantastic interface together with some excellent tools also.

Version 2.0 of Maya was way ahead of the pack, its seems most other apps have caught up somewhat and some have gone on ahead.

Have your say

btw, this is not a Maya/AW knocking thread just a concerned user sharing his thoughts.

I invite you to tell AW what 'YOU' want from them.

re Jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....
# 2 20-04-2003 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
i just want one thing ; MAYA UNLIMITED on mac !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 3 20-04-2003 , 06:01 PM
Subscriber
A better renderer supporting all the features of maya, well, whats the use of a renderer which does not support the major features of the software????

dum alias wavefronters

# 4 20-04-2003 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
well,, if you have a mac, maya's interface rules, if you are on a PC, you will be talking ancient egyptain language

# 5 20-04-2003 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
much better trax editor cos atm it really does suck
envelope skinning user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 21-04-2003 , 02:19 AM

Originally posted by tariqrf
dum alias wavefronters

Have you ever read the research papers of the site? Or watched the research videos? Please refrain form making such comments on a Maya-oriented site. I understand it´s you opinion and all -a sh*tty one by the way- but since I´ve seen what those guys are researching, I have only respect for them.

As per the wishlist, excellent idea Jim. I believe some of the gurus around might want some features implemented in the software.

# 7 21-04-2003 , 03:40 AM
The Maya Mountain
can't say I've had any problems so far....

# 8 21-04-2003 , 09:27 AM
Hi,

great replies so far......

Sorry if I sounded like I was winging. Just a bit concerned/frustrated at the moment with current state of Maya.

And yes, I have read some research papers (but not too recently), AW have and continue to develop their toolset in many outstanding ways such as fluids paint fx, etc....

It is more the basic 'everyday' stuff that I 'feel' needs attention such as the things I spoke of earlier that would benefit me as a primarily character focused artist.

Don't get me wrong MAYA KICKS ASS!!!!

I feel (as someone who has used it since version 2.0) that the software is no longer way out in front of the pack. And after investing huge amounts of time and money into learning the software this concerns me.

blah, blah, blah

re Jim

# 9 21-04-2003 , 09:30 AM
Heh heh Jim, my reply was directed at Tariqrf. user added image
Smart reply though.

# 10 21-04-2003 , 09:39 AM
Hey adldesigner,

Gidday. Yes, I realized that shortly after pressing the 'submit reply button'. I should get off my ass and read more AW stuff also, so thanks for the prompt, if only indirectly.

There could be numerous workarounds for all of the areas of concern that I have brought up. I am still learning the program. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated (refer to top of thread re areas of concern).

re Jim