Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-07-2004 , 06:08 PM

Vertex Snap

Hey

I know this is really basic but I'm a complete noob. How do I snap two vertices together?

Another thing as well is, if I use the Create Polygon tool and create a new polygon, how do I make it part of the mesh?

Shot

To not take a risk is a risk in itself
# 2 23-07-2004 , 07:25 PM
Hi,

Look in the manual for 'merge vertices'.

sj

# 3 26-07-2004 , 08:56 AM
1. Select a vert and then hold down "v". The move manipulator will then have a yellow circle around it. If you grab that and drag towards another vert they will "snap" together. You can then merge them using the merge verts command.

2. You need to snap the verts of the new poly to the old one using the method above. Then "polygons >> combine" and then merge the verts. Then delete history.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 26-07-2004 , 11:51 AM
Hi,

The above way won't snap them together (ie, average their locations). Use merge vertices.

The answer to the second part is to use combine. You don't need to snap anything, unless you want to connect the two separate sections of mesh, and then you will have to snap, and/or use merge.

sj

# 5 26-07-2004 , 12:36 PM
snapping and collapsing two verts together is an entirely different thing. Snappingone vert to the position of another is done with my way above. merging verts with a high threshold which is what you are talking about is a more risky and you may end up with dodgy geometry.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 26-07-2004 , 01:36 PM
Hi,

Well, I've never found that I want two vertices in the same place, unless they were merged.

If I did want to average them without merging, I'd use this script:
{
// script to average selected vertices
string $list[] = `ls -sl -flatten`;
int $num = `size $list`;
float $avg[];
for ($each in $list) {
float $loc[] = `xform -q -a -ws -t $each`;
$avg[0]+=$loc[0];
$avg[1]+=$loc[1];
$avg[2]+=$loc[2];
}
for ($each in $list)
xform -ws -a -t ($avg[0]/$num) ($avg[1]/$num) ($avg[2]/$num) $each;
}

If I just wanted to one to another, I would use "v", but when the op said "snap two vertices together", I didn't think that's what he meant.

sj