Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-12-2006 , 06:50 AM

3d/UV view image resolution problem

Hello everyone!

I've got a little problem;
I wanted to texture a simple box, but it's hard because the image attached to the material I want to use to texture doesn't display 'right': it's a large image, but I only see some pixels (as if it's a very very small picture, 50 times as big as it used to be). The same in the 3d view and the orthographic views..
Does someone knows how to see a high-resolution texture in 3d and UV(-editor) view?

Thanks a LOT!!!!!
T500yo

# 2 30-12-2006 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber
How does it render? Is that okay, or is it screwy too?

If it rendered ok, just make a scaled down version of the texture and use that with a dummy material to do the
UVmapping. Afterwards, reassign the the correct material, complete with high-res texture.

When you say high res, how high?

Also, don't 'spose your your card is an nVidia is it?:p
S.

# 3 30-12-2006 , 10:31 PM
Senior Software Developer
The best node to use to check your UV mapping is a Lambert with the checker texture applied to it. Works a charm, there is also the colour checker texture I see a lot which is a series of numbers 1-8 on alternating colours. To save a hi res UV Map you need to complete the layout and in the UV Editor choose:

Polygons>UV Shapshot
Choose the file format you want to save as
then change its resolution (high as you can), then if you decide to bring it down then you can without the loss of details.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 31-12-2006 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber

Re: 3d/UV view image resolution problem

Originally posted by y500

Does someone knows how to see a high-resolution texture in 3d and UV(-editor) view?

Thanks a LOT!!!!!
T500yo

yes in each view there is a grey/white bar (view, shading , lighting ect) with drop down menus,
go to shading and turn on "high quality rendering" this then displays in that view the txtmap at a higher resoloution than without and i think it also does lights better
u dont need to render

if u dont have the bar do shift+m to toggle it on and off

hope this helps

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 31-12-2006 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
Also, if you go into the program preferences (Windows->Settings/Preferences->Preferences) and go to the "Display" tab, there's an option called "Max. Texture Display Res." By default it's set to 1024.

# 6 31-12-2006 , 11:38 PM
Hello everyone and happy new year!
Thanks for all the replies!

Enhzflep - that low - high shader hint is smart, but if you see blocks (imagine a smilie of this forum, resize it as big as your screen and pick a spot 20 times smaller than that screen..user added image) but it might work. (once upon a time is saw very sharp textures, and no I've got no nVidia videocard, the render is perfect!)

R@nSiD - I work with the checker texture and I really dunno what you mean with the Polygons>UV Shapshot-hint.. (lets read what the maya manual has to say about it)

pbman - I never have heared about that bar (ok.. there is a button in the UV mapping screen, which is a similar(-like) tool)... I'll check shift+m! thnx!

Enhzflep (again) - I think your Preferences-hint should do the trick. thanx!

Thanks again! You'll hear if it works!