Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-02-2007 , 08:34 AM
Acid44

animation conversion

anyone know of a program that can convert animations beetween 3ds and maya? im trying to modify gta vice city and the guy helping me only knows how to change animations in 3ds...user added image

# 2 19-02-2007 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
I think you should be able to do it with the FBX format. Just export to FBX with MAX then you shoud be able to import it with Maya. Just checked Adesk's site and they reckon it's no worries. Just can't remember if you lose any data like UVs or the textures themselves.

Here's the Adesk link: ADesk FBX prod info

-S.

# 3 19-02-2007 , 11:31 PM
Acid44
thanx man much apprieciated

# 4 21-02-2007 , 04:31 AM
Acid44
when you export back and forth would the uv mapping stay the same???

# 5 21-02-2007 , 05:40 AM
Subscriber
Never tried it myself, haven't got access to Max at the mo', but here's something that may help you out.

Btw - perhaps the OBJ format would be a better choice - I'd just get him to send you an unmodified file and try it before you bust-a-gut and lose time.

Adesk - Disc Grp - FBX UV Qs & As

-S

# 6 22-02-2007 , 03:43 AM
Acid44
doesnt the obj export only export meshes?

# 7 22-02-2007 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm.

Despite what I'd read and directed your way, I can't even export from maya then re-import without losing the animation data. Tried fbx and obj, but no dice..

Sorry, it'd seem as though I've sent you on a wild goose chase.

It's about now that I'm really likin a .sig I've seen elsewhere that says: "Disregard EVERYTHING I've said previously":blush:

Hope you get something sussed mate.
-S

# 8 23-02-2007 , 11:56 AM
Acid44
aw shit... we already started with the fbx if theres no problem ill stay with that but if there is ill find something and post it here