Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-02-2008 , 05:08 PM

Flight over the mediteran sea

This is another work created for my school application so now I'm looking for critique and ideas on what I should add/remove.

Thanks in advance //Weyu. user added image

user added image

# 2 07-02-2008 , 05:11 PM
Subscriber
the plane looks good, I would work a little bit more on the ocean, make it look a little less repetitive. And probably work a little more on the islands.

# 3 07-02-2008 , 06:07 PM
Hehe yeah I did the mountain in around 10 minutes so it is has no detail at the moment, I hope that it wouldnt be seen tho as it is blured by dof.

And yeah I know that the sea looks repetative but it is kinda hard to make a sea get that "real" look. user added image

I will try to work on it tho, and thanks alot for the reply. user added image

# 4 07-02-2008 , 06:27 PM
yeah - i agree with rhetoric - tha plane looks cool, but the rest off the scene needs a bit more work. aside from the repetitive ocean, the islands look kind of flat and the sky really doesnt match the ocean which would probably look a lot darker with such a overcast sky.

# 5 08-02-2008 , 06:30 AM
Subscriber
Cool!

The sky merging with the sea...needs some horizon
Ths sea water color may need to be tuned'
The sea water has no shininess or reflections

Cheers!

# 6 08-02-2008 , 06:42 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Not to sound to harsh here, but I feel being honest is the best policy for such critique.

to me the whole image looks like a badly lit miniature model. the other guys are right about the sea, as its too repetative.

download some Island referance, perhaps something around Fiji or Bora Bora. The lighting really needs to be bright especially around the Island, to give the image scale and depth. Usually to establish this effect fog can be added. If its a still image then it can be cheated in PS, but if you can achieve it in 3d then great just tweak the effects later.

Ive attached an image of a shot I did for a 3d comic strip last year. Its not great as I only had one day along with 5 other shots to do it in.

Its mostly Maya software rendered with about 6 lights if I remember, because the trees on the island are PFX palm trees.

I did one occlusion and beauty pass in MR for the plane to avoid harsh shads in the comp. the sea isnt great as it repeats here and there but its a little less obvious than what you have atm. Im sure you can improve on this.

cheers
Jay

Attached Images
# 7 09-02-2008 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
^^ what jay said lol

But jay, how did u get the water and too look so nice with the shore? I'm really gonna need to know that for my WIP when im done with it..

thanks.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 8 09-02-2008 , 03:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL

Its just a dull transparency map. To get the outline right to go around the islands it was 'pencilled' around the islands using the 3d paint tool in maya then just exported as a texture into ps for the final image

Easy!

Hope it helps

Jay

# 9 09-02-2008 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
K LOL.

lol, thanks i just want to know alot of ideas so when im done... thanks...

i plan to make a little movie.. in about 5 months.

Anyways thanks.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 10 12-02-2008 , 09:53 AM
Thanks alot for the critique.

Been trying to take your advices here but if it is lacking somehwhere or if there is something new I should add please tell. user added image

user added image

# 11 12-02-2008 , 10:45 AM
Now this looks better.
But i think something is missing (rain,lightning...) with that kind of sky.
Anyway goodwork.

# 12 12-02-2008 , 10:47 AM
Thanks, and yeah I do like the idea of rain, I might try it on this weekend. user added image

# 13 12-02-2008 , 11:37 AM
yeah - well done weyu - this is definitely looking much better.

i think you need to get the plane and the island away from the edge of the shot as this is making the image too even compositionally. i'd bring the plane closer to the camera like in your first image and maybe just add a bit more different detail to the island.

keep at it! user added image

# 14 12-02-2008 , 01:42 PM
Much better, but the sky texture looks awefully lowres

# 15 12-02-2008 , 01:58 PM
Subscriber
sky also looks like a wall,

To not make the scene big, you can skew/scale the image, so the lower part of the image you scale inwards.

Ever in maya or Photshop. Thiw technique is the lazy way user added image