Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-01-2010 , 12:30 PM

Widescreen Problems

Hi guys, I know this has probably been asked before and I hate to be a bother but I've spent a while (good couple of hours) trying to figure this out and its probably a really simple solution.

I have a 22" widescreen monitor. Recently got Maya 2010 (was using blender...I swear its like waking up in Oz) and its awesome. However, I can't get properly into modelling as yet because the screen is stretched horizantally so vertically its smooshed. Anyone that knows how to fix the aspect ratio I shall build a shrine in their name.

Thank you very very much everyone that replies.

# 2 17-01-2010 , 02:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
dude you need to check the settings for your Graphic Card.

What are you using?

Jay

# 3 17-01-2010 , 02:35 PM

thanks for the speedy reply

Hi there, thanks for the speedy reply. I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce 7025. Drivers are up to date. I really don't understand the problem although I had the same issue with Blender.
Thanks.

# 4 17-01-2010 , 02:39 PM
The Nurb Herd
do you use 2 monitors? i had a problem similar to this. I rebooted and then disconnected my 2nd monitor before it started again. once it had started i plugged my monitor back in and it was fine. kinda odd but hey ho.

# 5 17-01-2010 , 02:52 PM

Hmmm

That's quite bizarre. Nah, single monitor. Isn't there a way to change aspect ratio or width of the viewport? It's quite frustrating lol

# 6 17-01-2010 , 02:58 PM
I use a real cheap as chips card by NVIDIA a 7300GT to be exact. And Im using a dell 22inch wide monitor. Check the NVIDIA display settings, and go to the flat panel setting. You may just have missed a setting. my rez is fine no stretching or anything. I did have to load a driver specific to the monitor when I got it so the aspect ratio was correct for the wide screen, you may missed a driver for the monitor (not the card) too so check that too.

Jay

# 7 17-01-2010 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber
seriously all these problems with wide screen monitors?...
Suppose i'm lucky getting away with using my 32 inch tv then eh?.

Wonder if i have these problems to look forward two when i upgrade to two hd tv's.

Curiously, would you consider this type of problem to be Card / chipset specific? or a Monitor problem?.. or luck of the draw

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 8 17-01-2010 , 06:48 PM
I dont think its a problem as such....Monitors as well as graphic cards come with drivers, tvs are a little different. if the Pc is an older one it probably just has the standard 4:3 ratio monitor driver installed, so if its an upgraded monitor to a 16:9 then the driver for the actual monitor will need to be installed to the pc. Its pretty standard just like buying a new printer, card etc, you need the drivers or it doesnt work properly. Hopefully its just a monitor Driver and this dude can get on.

I had the same thing when I got mine...just needed a bit of 'driver love....'

J